1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Monitor or Speakers - Sorted, now I need a soundcard... HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloody_Pete, 10 Jun 2011.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Ello everyone

I'm well known around these parts. I'm thinking of splashing some cash at either a new monitor or speakers.

My aging Harman Kardon speakers that came with my first Dell (8 or so years ago!) are beginning to show their age, so with BF3 having such amazing SFX I'm thinking about upgrading them. I want to stick to 2.1 though, so my setup wont allow for anything more and I prefer the sound from good 2.1's :)

As for a screen, I've had my curent Asus VK222S, which Asus doesn't list anymore, screen for a couple of years. It's very good for a TN pannel, but I want something more. I only really have space for a 24" max though really. My 5870 should be powerful enough to power most res's too, so thats not a concern.

As for budget, I just want good kit for reasonable money, nothing silly, as I can find that myself :p
    I think I can go to £300 perhaps.

So, what do you guys think then?

Last edited: 12 Jun 2011
  2. NeilJM

NeilJM What's a Dremel?

Key things to specify with speakers for me to help would be - how much room do you have/how far away from them can you be, and how loud do you like to play?

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'll be right next to me on my desk, I'll see if I can find a pic of my setup...

Edit:

This is my setup:

[​IMG]

Although I'm going to be shuffling it as my new case will make my 932 look small...

4. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

well the only monitor that anyone would advise as an upgrade from your current would be a dell ud2410. its £466 or £388 if you can claim your VAT back.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/24-d...descreen-lcd-ips-panel-1920x1200-400cd-m2-6ms

2.1 speakers i would go for either bose companion 3 or companion 5 models. go to your local john lewis as they normally have a display set. great sound and very sleek design in my opinion.

the companion 3 are around £200 online
    http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-an...computer-speakers/companion-3-speaker-system/

and the companion 5 are around £250 online
    http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-an...computer-speakers/companion-5-speaker-system/

they are defo not gaming speakers but for that your might have to go logitech z-5500 which is 5.1 anyway

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'm sure there was an alternative to the Dell IPS's that I saw at some point, but was £100 cheaper...

And those BOSE's lok nasty, plus the speakers are too tall.

Edit: Found that screen. Worth it?

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

If that's all the space I had, I'd put the computer under the desk. If there's no room to even have it facing the right way, just get rid of it down below. It looks pretty stupid side on like that anyway, and more importantly, is just wasting a huge amount of desk space. You have little enough of that as it is, and if you're getting a larger case that will only get worse.

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Actually, it works really really well side on :) Still gives a foot of space and means it's easy to look in it :) It's how I like it and it works for me :)

8. Pookeyhead

Fair enough. It's the case that is limiting both speaker placement, and monitor size though. Bigger desk for your next upgrade? :)

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Alas, the desk is built into the flat, so not really an option. :p I can alway shuffle it right and aquire more space though...

10. donok

11. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I tried my Pc on the desk for a while but the fans whirring in my ear just got on my nerves and made it sound even louder.

Plus, Donok why is the U2410 the only reasonable option, I have a ZR24W and think it's rather good

12. donok

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

14. donok

no experience with the hp ips monitors and completely forgot them and im an ignorant *$%

15. donok

ZR24W is like £260-300 in price which seems a total bargain for that type of monitor. my dad is working a contract with HP atm I maybe able to get a discount

16. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Ignorance is bliss he he.

The U2410 is probably superior and the only thing I could pick on with the ZR24W was a grainy quality with the anti glare coating when I first started using it but I got used to it

17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Gentlemen, we digress :p

18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

19. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Bose speakers :sigh:

Just no.

20. Pookeyhead

Bugger :(