1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Monitors turning blank

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by daverobson08, 8 Oct 2011.

1. daverobson08

daverobson08 What's a Dremel?

Hi guys. firstly, I'm sorry if the format of this post is a bit skewiff. I'm having to type on my phone as I'm sat in the pub trying to calm down!

I have three 19" monitors connected to an HD5850 running in eyefinity. They have been running fine for a month or two now and I've been enjoying the new experience immensely. Now however, my displays have been going blank simultaneously on a regular basis and I can't figure out what the cause is. It definitely happens EVERY TIME I open any fullscreen games or adjust any display related settings (in either Windows Display Properties OR Catalyst Control Centre). It also happens when installing/uninstalling programs. That being said, I think it has happened when opening up a new tab in Safari (the plot thickens eh?).

I think it started after installing MSI Afterburner. I had a little fiddle as you do (for around two minutes) and then set everything back to default and closed the program. The card itself is not too hot, all three displays work fine under normal desktop usage and I haven't encountered any problems in another OS install (Vista). 

Running:
    Windows Seven Ultimate x64
    3GB DDR 2 (2 + 1)
    1TB 7200rpm 3.5" HDD
    250GB 5400rpm  ""  ""
    ASUS EAH 5850 Direct CU 1GB DDR5
    e5700
    750W PSU (I think)

I hope to God that somebody else recognises this issue straight away because it is driving me nuts! Thank you in advance. :wallbash:

2. daverobson08

Just spotted that my graphics details are outdated in my sig. I will try to rectify that now.

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Having the res up to high could cause this. Start by lowering it and see how you get on, if it's fine then take it back up until you start to hit problems again. What you've got to remember is that driving 3 screens is going to stress the GPU out especially when gaming at high res.

4. daverobson08

Thank you for your time Jeff, I've got it sorted now.

Uninstalled previous and installed current AMD 5xxx drivers. Now working flawlessly as before. I don't know how much Afterburner interferes with the hardware and whether it caused a conflict with my drivers but it's not the first time I have had issues with flakey (sp - flaky?) AMD software.
    Eyefinity is great compared to the Nvidia 3D Surround alternative as far as I can see but it definitely comes with it's cons!