1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks More server fun

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by puzzler_uk, 13 Oct 2004.

1. puzzler_uk

puzzler_uk What's a Dremel?

Yes yes i know you are all fedup of hearing from me and my server fun. After the microsoft gods decided not to give me mercy on keeping it all working i have decided to rebuild. Not just the login server. but just about all of them. well 3. But now i have the daunting task of deciding what goes on where. Because i want to have the best fault tollerence as i can get. So i have 3 Boxes to put:

Active Directory
    File sharing (kinda has to be "shorty" cas the hdds are in it)
    Quake server (very occasionally)
    Terminal server for P2P programs
    Web Server
    MDaemon Server
    DNS/DHCP/Routing
    Symantec Antivirus Server
    then anything else anyone can think of.

The systems i am going to be using are

SHORTY (because it used to be a huge! Digital server case, irony)
    200gig hdd with a seperate 10 gig one
    2 Nics
    128meg ram
    500mhz
    scsi tape drive

BUZZ (cas it was a games server)
    5gig hdd
    1 nic
    400mhz
    128meg ram

PAT (is currently my mail server "postman pat" for the brits around here!)
    2gig!!! WOO but i have a 40 lying around
    1 nic
    450mhz
    128 meg ram

I want to arrange it all so all the files are in one place.The Fileserver. The P2P TS server really needs to be stand alone because it will get filled with crap and will have P2P programs runnin at all times. me and 2 bros.
    MDaemon idealy on the fileserver so i dont need to worry about loosing mail because it cant put it anywhere. It doesnt really matter where active directoy is because im equally screwed where ever it is if it crashes.

Thanks Alot Guys
    Ben

2. planki

planki ...

this has being suggested before in one of your other threads i think but i think you should sell all your parts and build a dual processor machine with a lotta memory and hard drive space then set it up real nice instead.

3. puzzler_uk

Yer, but in my opinion it doesnt matter how fast the machine is, because windows and stuff will always find a way to take more resources. Also i am going to be running p2p programs that are nice n loaded with spyware, plus selling the machines i have wont pay for a duel xeon!

4. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

all that for 3 people? jesus bloody christ. why not employ a call centre too to deal with the problems?

5. puzzler_uk

Something i dont get, I enjoy working with coputers. I want to go into networking. So why NOT have experience with multi-server enviroments. Its not like i spend all my money on stuuf for it. I have spent No money on these servers personally. The OSs were donated. The systems made from old pcs or given to me because they are all old. I enjoy doing it and it makes everything run smoother. Yes it is over kill but it also makes it a great deal easier in other ways.
    Plus its 4 people :idea:
    And hosting my webiste!
    So thats about erm....
    5 or 6 people!

6. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

To give AD some added redundancy you could set one machine as the PDC, get it doing all the admin type tasks, then set one of the others up as a BDC in case the PDC falls over. It can carry out this role secondary to it's main task. Be it file serving, mail, etc...

7. puzzler_uk

Yea, its something i really should have looked into before. But i tried moving it over to another server when it started dieing but it just screwed me about. So im going to rebuild the main AD server and add both other servers as BDCs
    plus then they have a local record of AD which will b useful for mail etc etc..

8. hk

hk Powered By Duracell

Lol well kudos to you, thats how I started doing this networking marlarky :)

Still think you are working in the wrong OS environment, but we wont go down this route.

9. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

How do you intend to control the P2P programs on the server ? Using RealVNC or something like that ?

10. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

Fair enough. Buy an old mac though - networking windows xp and an old mac is DIFFICULT. ;)

11. puzzler_uk

yer, thanks hk, someone can agree with the whole overkill aura you get when you walk in your garage and hear the symphony of like 10 harddrives all humming. But i also agree with the OS point, i tried my hand at *nix but it really get at me, because it always seemed that any tutorial i found wasnt going to work on the distro i used etc etc... But i think i am going to do a distance learning thing because my school didnt run computing as an A level, so i am taking it into my own hands to do C++ and linux. Then move off to uni to study cybernetics.

12. puzzler_uk

forgot to reply to this one. I am just going to use Terminal Services on 2K server. Its like VNC BUT it gives multiple sessions at a time, so in effect i can use one server as 4 machines. All being controlled by individual users.
    Great piece of kit.

13. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

Personally I would add at least another 128MB of ram to your 500mhz machine, put AD, DNS (DNS will come with AD), DHCP, RRAS, mdaemon, web and AV server all on that machine. Make sure to set it to give priority to background services. Use this as your server, don't use it for surfing or gaming or whatnot..

Use the 40gber for that server, take your 200gb drive for your seperate fileserver..

And use the last 400mhz box for your game server..

Your server may be a little overloaded with only 256 of ram and a 500mhz processor but it should cope..

My 2 cents..
    -scoob8000

Then use your remain

14. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

overkill my arse. im with HK the best way to learn is to do, and to teach yourself. this is how i got started, still learning but then again do you ever stop learning?

puzzeler go for it and i wish you good luck

Tags: