1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos More Wands

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by supermonkey, 31 Dec 2013.

1. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

We recently did a marathon viewing of all the Harry Potter movies. My daughter loved them, and I got inspired to make some new wands. I have a decent stack of mahogany left over from the coffee table project, so up on the lathe it went. Both wands ended up being roughly 14 inches ( about 35.5 centimeters). My daughter's wand is next, but my lathe has been occupied with Christmas presents for the last few weeks.

[​IMG]
    This is a full view of my wand. If you look close you can see two subtle 'bumps' along the shaft that were inspired by the 'Elder Wand' from Harry Potter.

[​IMG]
    This is a close view of my wand's handle. It features several twists that I hand carved after turning the wand, as well as my signature 'burn bands.' The burns ended up being lighter than I wanted, so I went back over them with black archival ink before the final finishing.

[​IMG]
    This is a full view of my wife's wand. She asked for a feminine wand, and I was inspired by the design for Luna Lovegood's wand. Luna is a character from Harry Potter; she is a member of the Order of the Phoenix, and one of my wife's favorite characters. I hand carved the tulip and twist details after doing the turning, using black archival ink to accentuate the details in the tulip leaves.

[​IMG]
    This is a semi-close view of the handle for my wife's wand.

[​IMG]
    This is a close view of the twist detail for my wife's wand.

[​IMG]
    This is a close view of the tulip detail for my wife's wand.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That is absolutely awesome! I want one now... :worried:

3. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Epic work, Monkey! I envy your woodworking skills!

4. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

Wow, amazing work! Would love to have the skills to do something like that!