1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most round-about way of getting the internet you've ever tried

Discussion in 'General' started by jsheff, 15 Jan 2008.

1. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I sometimes wonder why people make their connections more complicated than they need to be. My setup is as follows:
    Computers and printer -> Linksys router -> DSL Modem -> Internet. I've considered moving into the wireless world, but I just can't justify the cost at the moment.

-monkey

2. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I would love to go back to good old Ethernet, but the landlord refuses to fix the phone line so just had a new one laid into the back bedroom so our only option was wireless.

3. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

mine is Room Switch>CAT5E>House main Switch>Zoom X5 ADSL modem router. Works well :D hate wireless and we have alot of computers (a couple per family meber and some special function ones) so most rooms have the same path to the net.

4. mr_ace

mr_ace What's a Dremel?

i once stood in my garden on a freezing a night using my psp to conect to my neighbours wireless, just to check my email

5. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

I've built a frame-and-javascript powered psuedo-web-browser to bypass school web access control software. You could only take Internet Explorer to pages on your local machine. I tested and found that you could still load content in frames from the web, as long as the frame page was local, so I built a setup with a small upper frame (text box to put URLs into, and a "go" button), and the large lower frame became my web browser.

Nothing hardware-level worth mentioning, really. Worst I've ever done (at a LAN party) is computer -> gigabit switch (serving the 4 gigabit-equipped computers) -> 10/100 switch (with all the other half-dozen computers) -> hub in basement -> DSL router in basement -> Internet.

6. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Whilst I am at home, for me it is internet>wireless g router>my laptop> network bridge>10/100 hub (it was free :) and I can't get Synergy working without it)>my desktop. Then the other computer (the one with a printer) it connected wirelessly to the router.

At school it is ethernet port>hub>laptop&desktop, thought what goes on before that is rather interesting (mmm... fiber...)

I had free gprs once, but I could never get it working over IR

7. jsheff

jsheff What's a Dremel?

I don't really like wireless that much for the fact that it's too slow for streaming HD from server to tablet on most occasions, hence why I prefer 802.11n for that. My mum uses her laptop on the G wireless I orginally put in for use as a bridge but then discovered it's qualities of not slowing my N router down. My Wii and DS both use it too. Since 802.11n doesn't support WEP and the DS doesn't support anything but WEP I had to do something about my poor Animal Crossing village being cut off from the world!

One of my friends once used one of the first 3G phones as internet for a LAN party once, as it was a much faster connection than his 56k at the time!

I'm amazed at the lack of extreme geekiness in doing stupid stuff to try and get access to the net!

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Very inventive of you, but thoroughly annoying for admins. Security is there for a reason.

Fair enough, I'd still say you should have G router -> N router -> internets. Best of all worlds tbh.

9. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

heh, Orange gave me a month free WAP on my old SPV C500, Played Red Alert 2 online, with no problems at all, untill around midnight-ish when i would have to disconect and reconect, oh, i also had the phone hanging out the window so it didn't overheat from being connected for so long.

Now, my connection is much faster and more stable.
    PC/Server/360 all go to a Netgear 5 port switch, which goes to my Netgear Router, and then off to me local exchange.
    Another machine in another room also connects via the switch, while another 360 connects wifi like to the router direct.

Sam

10. JCG

JCG What's a Dremel?

Guess I have a boring internet connection:
    7 meter cat 5e cable (tested and certified for Gbit ethernet) -> router -> 200 meter telephone underground -> optic fibre -> IPS

11. identikit

identikit Minimodder

I'm lucky in that my computer sits right next to the master phone socket.

12. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

My home.

Internet -wire- wirelessrouter downstairs -wire- wirelessrouter upstairs
    (bouth dlink)

All computers have a wired access, but I can take my laptop or iPod touch anywhere in the house and have a full wireless connection.

13. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

Not sure about work, it can change but I’m currently connected through a proxy in Germany. About 500 miles out of my way...

Home is wire -> router (just as AP and switch) -> smoothie 3.0 --> router --> net

14. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

BT HomeHub (curse that thing) and then a 30m ethernet cable up the attic and down into my room. My house isn't that big, I just ... like having extra cable.

15. Lee @ Scan

Lee @ Scan Scan Computers

Mines simple - Router is my room and all PC's are all wired to ports - no wireless desktops at all.

On the wireless - I've a squeezebox 3 downstairs switched to access point mode and through this the network DVD and xbox360 are connected.

The wii has wifi enabled :)

16. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

nah all web filtering is a piss take best one I have seen is encapsulating all web trafic eyncrpted inside fake http packets sent to a server which decoded them and sent back the webpage via the same methord. Some crazy python programer rigged that up just to browse ebay :p

17. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

My best effort was:

internet > netgear router > 10m high pole on the roof > cheapo wireless router > wifi amplifier > parabolic antenna > ~wireless~ > parabolic antenna > netgear access point > netgear switch > computer

18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Have you tried a prog called "ndiswrapper"? It lets you use the XP wifi drivers that came with your card under Linux.

19. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Most complex I've had to set up (for a crappy connection).

Laptop --(wireless)-- Belkin 11mbps Wireless Access Point --(wired)-- 100mbps switch --(wired)-- Computer --(wired)-- 100mbps hub --(fibre)--10mbps hub --(wired)-- 100mbps switch --(wired)-- 100mbps switch --(wired)-- server --(wired)-- 100mbps switch --(wired)-- server --(wired)-- 64kbps ISDN --(phoneline)-- INTERNETS

All this just to access the Internet from my sixth form room (residential). Me and a friend were set the task of connecting the Internet to the sixth form rooms. For me to access the Internet wirelessly through a whole load of security and really badly designed school network, this was the way. The Internet speed was painfully slow (64kbps ISDN serving 150 people). Just after I left the school did an overhaul and resdesigned the network and installed 8mbps broadband over fibre. So much for all my hard work.

I did set up a Halo server to play at school though which worked well, oh what great times in the library :D

20. Cinnander

Cinnander What's a Dremel?

The worst I've ever done was while I was in my first year of uni and just about everything except the web, email, SSH and MSN was port blocked, which was:
    [Laptop->]PC->PuTTY->Uni LAN->...->Internet->Friend's [sshd] Server->Internet, and then back in the reverse order for return traffic. Slow, when you consider it was 6-8 hops from the last .ac.uk host to my friend's router.

Could you not drop one or two routers in favour of switches? That way no extra hops between you and teh tubes.

Last edited: 16 Jan 2008