1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Mother Wants a new PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mitcian, 18 Aug 2010.

1. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Good point, I didn't think of that - cheers, I stand corrected.

It'll get worse in January though when VAT goes to 20%.

Back on topic (apologies for the tangent), I am leaning towards the view that one of the above posts is correct, maybe it is better dropping the extra £10 or so on an i5 530 instead of the G6950.

Using the Sonata III case deal with the PSU included, the price drops below £400.

2. Mitcian

Mitcian What's a Dremel?

I agree with the points made about the US vs UK prices, but having said that I still think in the UK we have a better deal than those on mainland Europe, At least from my experience.

Take for example a AAA rated game on release, in UK I think its pretty standard to expect to pay £35. But In the Netherlands I've seen similar titles, both on the high street and online for 55+ Euros.
    (admittedly the horribly weak pound makes this worse but i still find the difference to be significant).
    This might be offset by higher wages in Europe but I dont think they are proportionally that much more.

Anyway I digress.

This is a good point. The previous PC was good when it was bought, I know because I bought it for my own use at the time and I gave it to her when it no longer met my needs.

I would rather spend a little more now so that she can squeeze a few more years life outta the thing, partly because it is less hassle and partly because I know how difficult it is to convince her she needs an upgrade.