1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Motherboard advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by teamtd11, 22 Aug 2010.

1. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

Ok, im a very out of date with things now days. i have a amd 7850 black edition cpu, which is meant to have 2 unlock-able cores? if so which motherboard would people recommend?

All i have worked out is that the ASUS ones are the best for it, but any list i can find of which ones unlock, i can not find any of them for sale.

Could someone help me please? :)

bulldogjeff likes this.
  2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

3. teamtd11

I all ready did, i found lists of mobo's and cross checked with online suppliers, but everything is going am3 now, so i'm struggling to find any still in stock or for sale.

So was more wondering if anyone know of anything thats avilable now that will still unlock the cores on a am2+ cpu

4. bulldogjeff

An AMD 2 or 2 plus will drop into an AMD 3 mobo, so you wont have any probs. I dropped a 7250 into an AM3 Gigabyte board a few weeks ago and it overclocks like a dream.Not tried core unlocking on it as it's my Missus's and she's happy with it as it is.

the only thing to remember is you can't go the other way...IE AM3 into AM2

5. teamtd11

a AM2 or AM2+ will not go into a am3 mobo, as AM2 cpu's only have a DDR2 memory controller on.
    a AM3 will go into a AM2+ or AM3 mobo as they have both DDR2 and DDR3 memory controllers

The cpu you put in must of been a AM3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM3
    "As AM3 processors also support DDR2, they are backwards-compatible with Socket AM2/AM2+"

6. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

I'm in the same boat with this one. Currently (out of neccessity before you ask) i'm running an ASRock N68C-S which supports core unlocking but despite several BIOS updates and trying everything else i can think of (which isn't much) it simply wont recognise the other 2 cores. All of this even though CPU-Z insists its a Phenom CPU lol

My guess is that it needs to specifically be a board with ACC (i.e. an AMD chipset with the feature) instead of someone elses version (i.e. UCC which my ASRock has). The only proven evidence i've seen was from, i think, a 785 chipset board.

7. bulldogjeff

Oh sh*t my bad, your right it is the other way around...when it stops raining I shall go out in the garden and beat myself repeatedly with a big stick..Apologies mate:waah:

8. teamtd11

No worries, funny thing is i got this cpu because someone tried it that way round :p
    But with those pins removed after the attempt it still goes back into a AM2 motherboard and works perfect :D

9. Reddoguk

Reddoguk I Play WoW :(

To unlock cores on a AMD cpu you need a mobo with atleast a 710 SB.

You can get an AM2+ 770 mobo with a 710 SB, but be careful as earlier revisions of the 770 only have a 700SB and don't support unlocking.

10. teamtd11

My current mobo is 780g and 710sb but no options for unlocking :(

11. Reddoguk

Reddoguk I Play WoW :(

Your mobo should be able to unlock hidden cores m8. Check the mobo list in that link below.

Do you have the latest bios?

I think it also depends on the Maker of the mobo.

All current Gigabyte + Asus mobos on sale right now that have a 710SB all seem to have ACC.

All the REV 1.0 boards have the 700SB and the REV 2.0 have 710SBs all the the REV 2 boards come with
    EC AOD-ACC Support

mmm strange they seem to have removed all the core unlocking info from all the mobos on the Gigabyte.com website.

Anyway if you want more info look here

http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/535501-official-amd-k10-5-core-cache.html

Last edited: 23 Aug 2010
  12. teamtd11

Its the cheapest biostar with a amd chipset i think, there is only a single bios avilable for the motherboard.

Just ordered a Asus M4A785D-M PRO which i know dose have core unlocking, and pleant of bios revisions too :)