1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Motherboard and CPU compatibility

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shaile, 7 Jan 2009.

1. shaile

shaile Go BIG or GO HOME

Hey guys, I am getting ready to build my first computer for my mom followed right behind with my build for a gaming computer. I am running through all manuals online of the stuff I am getting ready to buy so there won't be a ton of surprises when everything arrives.

This question I have may be stupid, but I feel its worth asking since I'm new.

The motherboard I am going with is the gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L and the processor is an intel E5200. Gigabyte's website states the cpu is compatible after bios revision F10.

If my motherboard arrives with a bios prior to F10, can I still drop in my processor and immediately flash the bios, or am I going to have issues?

I believe I am going with the EVGA X58 for myself and was on their website today learning how to flash bios with a usb flashdrive, so I would go that route. My biggest worry is getting a motherboard that isn't installed with bios F10 and being stuck.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'd rather appear stupid than not ask and do something that would remove all doubt. :)

2. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

If you buy the motherboard brand new you should be alright for sure, they're usually shipped with the latest BIOS revision

I don't see why you're getting a P45 motherboard to use with an E5200... I'm assuming your mother's not going to be XFiring... for that price you can get a Jetway AM2 motherboard and an Athlon X2 to power it (low power, mid range computer)

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

the motherboard may not have the lastest bios rev, due to being sat in a warehouse and could be a pre F10 rev board.

Who knows what his mum is going to use the system for so xfire might be an option, hence cool mum! lol!

Thumbs up on the gigabyte, solid performers and will clock a e5200 very well if memory is rated high enough.

4. shaile

shaile Go BIG or GO HOME

That's my biggest worry, getting a mobo that has been sitting in stock for a while and doesn't have the F10 rev. I don't know what to do from there.

The reason for the Gigabyte board is it has proven to be a solid board and is very capable of overclocking the E5200 very well. And really, cost wasn't too bad. Complete build on newegg for around $650US. That even includes 64bit Vista, so I came in well within my budget.

So I guess I'm still asking my question, what happens if I get a board pre F10 rev.?

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It'll work fine.

Gigabyte has the in-BIOS QFlash utility too (F11 iirc) which works fantastically - you dont need to even install and OS or go into DOS - simply use that.

6. shaile

shaile Go BIG or GO HOME

Thanks Richard!

That's why I like this place so much. Tons of knowledge from people willing to help!

7. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Sure? See http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2844
    Code:
    Intel	Pentium Dual-Core E5200	2.50GHz	2MB	Wolfdale	45nm	M0	65W	800	[B]F8[/B]
    F8 came out 18 August so you should have no earlier from a busy dealer.

8. shaile

shaile Go BIG or GO HOME

You are correct, I was looked at the E5300, not the E5200... It is F8, not F10. I stand corrected.