1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboard dead?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by volitle, 11 Feb 2006.

1. volitle

volitle What's a Dremel?

I have a Geforce4 MX440 graphics card with 64mb ddr. I started to notice it would be alot laggier in games compared to my Geforce2 Ti so I decided to run some benchmarks on them. The Geforce2 Ti scored way higher in the tests. So I decided to check the Core Clock an Memory clocks on the cards. I found out that the Geforce4 didnt have the default speeds, They were suppose to be 275 Core Clock and 200 Memory Clock, but powerstip showed it has having speeds of 249 for core clock ann 153 memory clock. It showed the Geforce2 Ti speeds at 250 Core Clock and 200 memory clock, which is the right clock rates for that card. I just posted all about that in another thread under Video Cards section. http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=107651
    Well after I upped the speeds of the Geforce4 MX 440 and tested them again, it got just a slight increase in 3DMark scores. Well i decided to put the Geforce4 into my other computer an benchmark it again. So I set the core to 275 and memory to 200. I then started running PerformanceTest 5.0 and the graphics where getting messed up and then it froze up on me. I then restarted the computer and reset the cmos to clear the settings. But the real problem I have now is I cannot get my computer to boot up at all. I've tried 3 different craphics cards I have. A Geforce4 MX440,Geforce2 Ti,an a PCI Voodoo2 3000. But all the same thing. The computer turns on, the light in the front stays green the whole time an all the fans are running on the motherboard but the monitor just stays blank. So i tried almost everything from my computer in my wifes computer an everything worked fine, The hard drive,Graphics card,Sound Card. I can't try out the memory because it uses ddr an her's does not. But the last time I had memory go bad in that tower upon boot it would beep constantly. This time it seems to be doing nothing at all. I tried everything i can think of so far, tried using her monitor. I tried unhooking everything except the hard drive,graphics card and the monitor. But nothing, I can't even get into bios or anything because the screen just stays black. Please does someone have any ideas? Is it possible when I did that with my graphics card I could have fried my motherboard? Is there a way you can test the motherboard to tell? Or a way to test the memory? I had just bought that memory and still have the gaurantee on it so I really hope that's what it is but i'm not getting the same error i got from the last time the memory went bad.

2. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

This may seem like a stupid question, but did you put the jumper back in the right place when you cleared the cmos?

3. b_dyche

b_dyche What's a Dremel?

What mobo are you running? I had a similar issue with a DFI Lanparty, and found a way to clear the CMOS that wasn't in the book.

EDIT: wow, my sig is old... time to update it...

4. volitle

volitle What's a Dremel?

5. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

I am getting an identical problem, but under different circumstances.

If you find a way to fix it, could you please PM me!

Cheers man!

I will keep you posted on my outcome!

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Check the CMOS battery. It should be OK, because your mobo is not that old, but resetting the CMOS can be a drain on an old or malfunctioning battery.