1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding motherboard stealthing

Discussion in 'Modding' started by forester joe, 30 Nov 2006.

1. forester joe

forester joe shhh. can you hear your PC?

I've seen several projects that include this feature. and I really love the way a slealthy mobo looks. whether it is acrylic cover or a mesh cover - it's the neatest thing. :dremel:

so I thought of doing it myself. except I don't understand how I can get around all the pieces that stick out.
    would it be correct to say that some motherboards CAN'T be stealthed?
    if the memory, CPU, and video card are too close together, can it be impossible to stealth a board?

the mobo I have : p3v4x

second point is: how do you get "around" boards like the video card, or a sound card? the "outside" is flush agains the bottom and goes all the way up to the case.

2. intergalacticman

intergalacticman New Member

wow

wow, steathing a mobo, ive never heard of this, and im just as curious as you are, ive you have any links, show me.

steathed mobo = ***

3. ArsoN

ArsoN New Member

Orac3 had some fairly extensive motherboard stealthing, might be an idea to check it out (search these forums, or check out the article on the bit front page archives.

4. Timmee

Timmee Member

I've been thinking about doing this as well, and one way I've been considering, is to fit strips of posterboard around the components and tape them together together to layout a template. Of course, I won't know how well the idea works until it's tried.

5. Cardan

Cardan New Member

check out some of defyants mods

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Try measuring out the size of all components sticking out, the size of the mobo (though you should already know) and then measure the distance of each component from the edge of the mobo and make a drawing onto cardboard, cut out the cardboard and make corrections as needed, then make it in metal!

Or try Timee's idea

7. Fozzy

Fozzy New Member

You usually want to meausure it, make a printable model which you then transfer over to a material like styrene, which you then cut out and refit until you have a perfect shape. After that you print out the finished version and cut it into whatever material you are useing.

8. ArcAngeL

ArcAngeL New Member

This is something i was planning to do with my up comming mod, the best way i was going to do this was, to use 2mm cardboard and sketch out the bits which would be in the way, including holes for your cables if need be, then use the cardboard as a template to recreate the template with sharper lines on a computer, before putting it onto the material you want to use to stealth the motherboard.

9. forester joe

forester joe shhh. can you hear your PC?

thanks to all.

from the comments and pictures of loggs where there were stealthed motherboards I saw 2 things:

1) the stealth goes over the RAM (duhhhh)
    2) that deep slots for expansion cards is fine.

10. ryodoan

ryodoan New Member

I would really like to see a picture of what this looks like. Sounds sweet.

11. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

jup basically print out a schematic of your mainboard, lay it on some thick paper or cardboard and indicate which areas to cut out. Then cut them out and testfit, correct, testfit, correct, until you have it all good.

to make sure you still have some airflow under the cover, you could make it in mesh for example. If air flow isn't needed, use whatever you want. Good choices might be plexi or thin alu.

another thing to consider: how to attach the cover? You could use standoffs in the holes where the mainboard is fastened, or mount it in extra holes you drill in the mobotray of the case (next to the board of course).