1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ximensions, 14 Feb 2002.

1. Ximensions

Ximensions What's a Dremel?

1) What is the best motherboard for AMD processors around?

2) What is the best motherboard for Pentium processors around?

2. jamiesurfs

jamiesurfs Boom Boom, Cha Cha Cha!

I personally think the Soyo K7V Dragon+ is among the best for AMD CPUs. It's features and performance have been outstanding! Otherwise, any of the KT266a based boards from well known companies such as Abit (KR7A), Asus and MSI are well worth a look! On a budget, the ECS K7S5A based on the SiS 735 chipset is a good buy, with good performance but no overclocking!

3. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

For AMD AthlonXPs/Durons I would say the Iwill XP333-R or the Abit KR7A-133 RAID, or for non-DDR the Iwill KK-266R-Plus or the Epox 8kta3pro+.

For Pentium 4s I would say the Abit TH7-II RAID (for RDRAM), the Epox EP-4BDA2+ RAID for DDR (other boards are a little faster but have cold reboot issues) and for SDR SDRAM the Abit BL7.

For Pentium 3s and Celerons the Abit ST6 or VH6T or the Asus TUSL-2C..............

There is no one brilliant motherboard that easily beats the rest.....just lots of good ones and lots of less good ones. Ya pays ya money and makes ya choice!

:cool:

4. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

2nd vote for the Soyo here :D All the goodies are built in (6 channel sound, digital inputs/outputs, 10/100 NIC, RAID) and its capable of a decent overclock - FSB & multiplier. Oh and its a funky black colour :cool:

Why would you wanna buy a Pentium4 over an Athlon XP tho???

5. Ximensions

Thanks people :) I forgot to mention that the motherboard must also house 2 processors.

6. Ximensions

In response to Sco0by's question: "Why would you wanna buy a Pentium4 over an Athlon XP tho???"

At the moment I'm considering both, with no bias towards either. I'm just keeping my options open until I'm sure it's the AMD (or P4) that I want.

7. Brackish

Brackish What's a Dremel?

Why the h3ll was this post moved into the Electronics forum?

8. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

i no what ur gonna say bout me but i dont care i have a jetway 867as it handles both sd and ddr ram 2500mhz capable (12.5x 200) it runs sp cool im runnin my amd 1.6 athlonxp so that my baord on a budget $200aus bout $100us

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

:confused: its in hardware and overclocking :rolleyes:

10. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

i think it was moved FROM the electronics forum :rolleyes:

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

Thats correct alaric... I aint been around the forums much tonight :)

12. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

My main issue with the P4 is cost. To buy a P4 that performs at the same level as my XP1700+ would have cost more than the XP, mobo & ram combined! Plus when you take into account the XP can be quite easily overclocked to a performance level higher than the P4`s - it just makes better financial sense to go with Athlons ;)

On a different note - there is a review of 2 dual processor mobo`s on Tomshardware - if thats any help :D

13. jcmkk

jcmkk What's a Dremel?

For a dual CPU the MSI AMD MPX based board looks nice. I don't think they sell P4 dual CPU boards so you're out of luck there. You may also want to look at Tyan for dual CPU boards.

14. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

Arent the multiprocessor versions of P4`s the Xeons?, because you can get those in multiple cpu configerations.

15. Ximensions

I heard that you can't get Athlon XP processors on a dual processor motherboard - i.e. have two XP processors on the motherboard. Does anyone know when there'll be a motherboard that will house two XPs?

16. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

I dont think you can use Athlon XP`s in a multiprocessor system, you have to use the MP instead - The MP is the multiprocessor version of the XP. You can check out an MP mobo here. ;)

17. Ximensions

What are tyan boards like - are they good? http://www.tyan.com Want you're opinion/thoughts.

18. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

I think Tyan were the first people to make a dual cpu for Athlon cpu`s... theres a review of one of their dual-cpu mobo`s here

19. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

no they r the first server processer for intel and they run faster then p4 and amd they have more cache then amds and they where the first cpu to hit the 2ghz range but it was for servers so that is why amd won in the desktop 2ghz race also the xeon hits a whooooooping 2.4ghz to be realsed in a month or so

20. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

According to the somewhat vaugue intel website - The P4 Xeons only work in dual configuration and are designed for high end workstations. For servers they say to use the older P3 Xeon - which seems a bit odd? Id say stick to the Athlon MP`s as they are cheaper and more powerful. :cool: