1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding motion detecting power switch?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by BradfordPimp, 5 Dec 2004.

1. BradfordPimp

BradfordPimp What's a Dremel?

I'm wanting to power on my PC by covering a hole in the case with my finger but i really don't know how. I'm a bit of an electronics newbie but I learn pretty quick so complex guides and lingo isn't a problem. I really don't know where to start so any help would be useful.

I'm guessing I need some sort of motion detector that will sit in the hole, and when i move my finger over it, it will switch on my PC.

any help appreciated thanks

2. TheCleaner

TheCleaner Back again...

look into light gates maybe

3. Icecoldbagey

Icecoldbagey Mountain Dew!!!

im sorry i cant help but that is 1 cool idea man post it if ya do it i'd love 2 see it :clap:

4. BradfordPimp

well I've found out what i needed to know:

http://www.p5taylor.btinternet.co.uk/2.pdf

but it was a stupid idea because whenever someone switched off the light in the room the pc would switch on. oh well, back to the drawing board

5. f U z ! o N

f U z ! o N What's a Dremel?

you might be interested in this product
    http://www.xoxide.com/vl-system-touch-one.html
    "The TouchOne by VLSystem, is a James Bond style device that controls your computer’s on/off power function by sensing the electrical impulses that run through out your body. With no moving parts to break, a simple touch of your hand triggers your computer to turn on or off."

6. The_Gimpy

The_Gimpy What's a Dremel?

If yor worried about it turning on when you turn off the lights maybe you could have a faint led glow at it all the time so you accutaly do have to cover it for it to turn off?

7. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Y'all gotta think Low-Tech to look Hihg-Tech! :D

VERY simple way to do this. You make an little box with an IR-LED and an IR-Receiver. I'll leave the electronic gubbins to you to figure out. But, when you stik your finger into the little hole on the front of your PC, you will break the light beam, and (with the previously mentioned electronic gubbins) turn on your PC.

Check it out:

[​IMG]

Any electronics store, like Radio Shack etc, will have all the parts you need. You can modify this simple concept in a thousand different ways. Have fun... :thumb:

8. BradfordPimp

ahhhh thankyou, mount it sideways at each side of the hole...

lol cheers, lo-tech is the way. lol thanks, that'll do the trick nicely