1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux mounting a .sqaushfs file

Discussion in 'Software' started by LuitvD, 22 Aug 2006.

1. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

Is there a linux guru on this forum that can help my mount a .squashfs file? or in any way, copying a squashfs file to my SD card? (or any mounted device/partition)

I can't seem to find out how all by myself, because I don't use linux that much yet. (I will be using it quite a bit more, becuase, when I'm able to mount that squashfs stuff, I'll be able to make my palm Tungsten E2 run QPE (It's already loading the kernel and stuff, but I need a root filesystem to go on from there... and that root filesystem is in that squashfs file :D )

2. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

I believe you just need SquashFS and Loopback device support in the kernel, then you should be able to mount the image. I don't think its in the vanilla kernel as yet so you'll need a 3rd party kernel or patch the kernel yourself. If you've already doen all that, what errors are you getting?

3. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

hmm, haven't tried patching any kernels, because I still don't have an installed linux distro... using Ubuntu Live CD for now, but thanks for the info! :)

4. simon w

simon w What's a Dremel?

This suggests the live CD does have support for SquashFS.

This suggests that there is support for SquashFS in the repositories.

On Debian
    Code:
    simon@work:~$ apt-cache search kernel-patch-squashfs
    kernel-patch-squashfs - Squash filesystem support for Debian Linux kernels

5. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

lol. that's right, but the version I'm running is 5.04, which most likely doesn't have SquashFS

(5.04 is the version they distributed free of charge, and I just grabbed a CD from my drawer, because knoppix (of which I just downloaded the newest release version) didn't find my cardreader)

6. bender386

bender386 What's a Dremel?

why not just get the new Ubuntu?

7. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

I will :p but I think I don't want to mount that squashfs file anymore... Many people think GPE isn't working fast enaugh, and since Opie is running slow already (my PDA is only 200MHz fast) I don't think I want to switch... :)

Does anybody know how to patch APM into a kernel, that works with my PDA? :p

Tags: