1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V .mov not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Agent_M, 9 Dec 2006.

1. Agent_M

Agent_M Minimodder

ive recently been using the macs at uni to do some video editing with programs like after effects but when i save them as a .mov they just dont play on my pc, but are fine with macs.
    ive also had this problem with flash on macs, i made a mov clip to use in after effects, it all works fine on the mac then i get it on my pc and i just get an error from quicktime saying 'Error -2048: the file is not a movie file'

this isnt a big problem as i can make AVI's but i just find it abit odd, it also happened when my mate rendered a clip for me on his mac then sent it to me.

any ideas on the problem? because i thought .mov's played on any platform regardless of what computer made it.

2. Springs

Springs Boing boing

if your running .mov files on a windows pc you will need quicktime...

3. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

what version of quicktime do you have on the pc? maybe its out of date.. other than that i cant really see why there would be a problem

4. Agent_M

Agent_M Minimodder

i have quicktime 7 on here, i sent it to my friend to test on linux and apparently its broken, but it happens with all .mov files ive made on macs at uni, and the other one my friend made.

i can play .mov's that ive downloaded off the net or that are streaming so im at abit of a loss.

ive brought them on cd from the mac to the pc, to make sure it wasnt a faulty download from hotmail/gmail but it doesnt work ether way.
    maybe my pc is at fault seeing as its messing up alot recently, such as a blue screen saying hardware malfunction and random freezes with explorer crashing lots.