1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Moving Desktop Icons

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Chris_Waddle, 28 Jul 2010.

1. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what might be causing an issue I have with my desktop icons?

I've been running windows 7 64 bit for ages now and never had a problem in the past with my GTX280.
    About a month or so ago I bought an Asus 5870 v2. It works perfectly with all games etc and I'm very happy with it.

My problem arises whenever I turn my monitor off (Dell U2410), if the PC is still on. Whenever I turn the monitor back on, the destop icons will have moved all over the screen. The same happens if the power save kicks in after 15mins.

This never happened before when I had the GTX280. I have re-installed windows, catalyst 10.6 and installed the dell monitor driver, but it continues to happen.

It's really annoying as I often forget to turn on the monitor whilst my pc is booting (I hit the start button then wander off and do something else) then have to spend a few minutes putting the icons back to where I want them to be.

If anyone knows what is causing this then I would be very grateful for the info.

Thanks

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Sounds like a driver issue to me, have you tried different versions?

3. Chris_Waddle

I've tried a couple of versions of Catalyst 10.5 & 10.6 and it does it on both.
    I see that 10.7 is out now, so I'll try that tonight.

Unfortunately I can only find one Dell driver. If I can't sort it tonight, then I'll try contacting AMD & Dell to see if they can shed any light on it.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Tried it without the monitor driver? Is there anything that the monitor does that you need to keep it for?

How are the icons rearranged? How do you normally have them? It sounds like the desktop could be getting resized when the monitor is off. What connection are you using for the monitor? Tried a different port?

5. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 28 Jul 2010
  6. wormy

wormy Minimodder

The same thing happens to my icons sometimes but only after a re boot I think. I have a Gigabyte 5850 on an Asus motherboard.

I have seen conflicting advice about updating GPU drviers.

If this is the only GPU driver problem, is it worth the risk of even more by updating, or is the view now that GPU driver updates are safe enough to do it for each new version?

7. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

doesn't look like it's the gpu driver.. the thread on technet above is for nvidia

8. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Disable or uninstall the Monitor driver if there is one. There's no need for a monitor driver anyway.

9. Chris_Waddle

I have my Icons arranged to the left, from top of screen to the bottom in two rows.

Have now updated it to Catalyst 10.7, no change.
    Have uninstalled the monitor driver, no change.

It's connected using display port. As you say, it's as if the monitor is being re-sized when I turn it off.

I'll dig out a DVI lead later and try that. Thinking about it, when I changed my GPU I also changed to Display Port at the same time.

Thanks to all for the suggestions so far. I'll give them all a go if the lead doesn't fix it.