1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics moving network switcher in to pc

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Sord_Fish, 21 Aug 2003.

1. Sord_Fish

Sord_Fish What's a Dremel?

i have one of these link and i want to move it inside my pc whats the best way to power it from the pc?

2. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

You have to understand that this will not be a very pretty mod, you'll have to get your hands dirty.

While it'd be easy to simply make a molex->DC plug with +12v positive and +5v negative, that'd be a bad idea, because once your ccomputer goes off, the switch goes off. If the switch goes off, people still connected and using the switch get very pissed.

But, you can still power it. Most likely, there's a 5v regulator just after the DC plug (looks like a transistor, should have the markings "7805"). The reason the DC input is actually 7.5v is to make up for a crappy AC adapter. What you need to do is find the output for that regulator and note its location.

Now, here comes the tricky part. What you're going to need to do is find a way to tap into the +5vsb line on your ATX connector (without removing this connection from the motherboard, as it could still need it). Looking directly at the ATX connector with the tab up, the +5vsb line is the second-to-last one from the right on the lower row. You'll take this and connect it to the output of the voltage regulator. For ground, simply take one from the ATX connector (2 pins to the left of the +5vsb line is a ground, and once again, don't take this connection away from the motherboard), this goes at the negative connection at the DC plug (you'll have to look on the back of the switch or the AC adapter to see what the polarity is).

Almost forgot, you'll have to look on your power supply and see if it can handle more than 1A on the +5vsb line.

When you finish, the switch will be on as long as your power supply is plugged in and switched on (if you don't have a switch on the back of your PSU, then just plugged in).

edit: You might not need to mess with the ATX connector. If your motherboard supports Wake-on-LAN, then there's a connector on the motherboard, that supplies +5vsb and ground, if you can find this, then you can use those pins. You'll probably want to use an WOL cable, cut off one end, and use that the bare ends to connect the switch.

3. Sord_Fish

Sord_Fish What's a Dremel?

thanks for the post but i forgot to say that its an old pc, its got an AT psu and it will be on all the time. im using it as a router

4. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

Ok, then replace +5vsb with +5v off of a molex, and do all that other stuff I said.

5. Guest-2808

Guest-2808 Guest

Just rip off the casing and try to jam it in somewhere at the back of the case :)

If you want it to look nice, you could probably extend the ports a little bit to re-arrange them. Either solder wires to the PCB or easier still make up some really short ethernet cables with plugs on one end and sockets on the other.

As for power, as whypick says there is probably a 5V regulator (7805) in the switch itself. If so, it will probably run fine from 12V, but look up the exact spec of the 7805 first as they do vary a bit. Many can work with up to 15V no problem.

MoJo