1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mozilla calls for EU copyright reform

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 26 Aug 2016.

1. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Why not go the whole hog and license your written work under CC too?

Personally, I think it's right that content ownership and use is protected. I don't think people should expect to help themselves to other people's creations. Pay up or DIY!

Last edited: 29 Aug 2016
  2. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Why does education get a free ride? Universities sell education at a profit so IMO they should pay up, just like other businesses have to.

Last edited: 29 Aug 2016
  3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Not all education is at university and not all countries have for profit universities. Also education is the corner stone of society, it should take precedence over many things. Having paid some crazy prices on some college textbooks I can assure you creatives aren't getting fleeced at Universities. Actually I've used copy righted images for written assignments at college, I reference the author and it's fine. I'm not selling my frankly dull assignment texts for money and neither is my university. No one is making money from its use.

4. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Don't you smell that irony though? You're saying this on the internet. For free. Despite the fact that the inventor thinks holding information to ransom is contrary to democratic principles.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's a difficult one, that, because I have different opinions depending on whether it's fact or fiction. I've written a few non-fiction books, and for me it seems fair that the copyright applies for as long as it remains up-to-date. For technical works, that could be as little as a few years before the contents becomes obsolete. For non-fiction, I'm conflicted: people still buy copies of books written hundreds or even thousands of years ago, so putting a shelf life on that becomes a lot more difficult. I personally think the law should lie somewhere between Disney at one end of the spectrum and Stallman at the other - but I'd also like to see more publishers voluntarily relicensing works that have stopped selling, like how Linux Voice releases older issues as Creative Commons works.
    Things I have written for myself are already CC-BY-SA - the contents of all my blogs are licensed as such, and if anyone wanted to make use of comments here I'd offer the same licence. The licence of my commercial work, though, is not up to me: my clients demand copyright assignation, then they apply their own licence to the resulting work. They are literally buying the words then reselling them to the reader.

As mentioned above, though, some clients do relicense under more permissive terms: The MagPi releases the entire magazine under CC-BY-SA-NC, and I'd love to see more of my clients doing this - either immediately like The MagPi or on a schedule like Linux Voice.
    From this, can I assume you have paid Brewdog for the use of its logo in your avatar? :p

6. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

You can assume what you like. :p