1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Mozilla or IE not working but connection seems fine.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Dean R, 1 Mar 2010.

1. Dean R

Dean R What's a Dremel?

Had my mother on the phone asking me why she cannot get on the internet.

Apparently Firefox displays this error:

The application or DLL C:program Files\Mozilla Firefox\xul.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

which apparently can be fixed by reinstalling. However she cannot get on the internet because IE also won't load.

Seeing as I cannot get back to help until Saturday I was wondering if people had any ideas on how to fix it. :S

I'm baffled and its hard for her to explain over the phone. :S No worries if no one can help, she will have to wait until Sat :p

Its windows XP 32-bit. (Home i think)

2. theskirrid

theskirrid What's a Dremel?

If her hard drive isn't almost full [most likely cause], the other cause for the firefox error is a failed auto update. Downloading the full installer and installing over the top of the existing installation should sort it.

To re-iterate a full hard drive is most likely as the installer goes tits up when expanding.

3. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Seems odd that IE dosen't connect. Might try pinging google through command prompt to check the connection is fine. (Type ping google.com)

4. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

third party firewalls and Viruses/Spyware and common causes.

ping google, it will at least tell you if you can access the outside world. If you can get a response from your ping then check safemode with networking (assuming wireless or Ethernet connection). If browsers are working, High chances you have an infection or several.

If you can't get a response from google, check for third party firewalls etc. reboot your router if not tried already.

Has she tired IE safemode?

5. Dean R

Dean R What's a Dremel?

yeh she tried firefox safe mode and IE safe mode but none work.

I'll talk her through how to ping google and see if it works, because she has reset the router without success. Thanks.