1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MPAA is at it again...

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 26 Jul 2006.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Muhaha, that is great, battle of the lawyers then but surely the court will sway his way? why the hell would you download a movie you already have ? :eyebrow:

Tim: YGPM

3. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

Lost my oakley sunglasses today but yet this put a smile on my face :)

4. PrometheusCon

PrometheusCon What's a Dremel?

Over a DVD he BOUGHT!? Now I am certain that the RIAA and MPAA are plain retarded. It's pretty funny how they thought they were going to make a cool $2,500 from this guy then he turns out to be a millionaire who doesn't take **** from nobody.

5. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

hah! sucks to be the MPAA now, no longer is it an 8 year old who cant afford to fight, hopefully this will get them SO much negative press that they will curl up and hide for a few years.

6. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

brilliant. I cant wait to see those mpaa guys get their asses handed to them on a plate.

7. CommanderAce

CommanderAce What's a Dremel?

As a fellow Oakley owner (Thumps), I feel for you, I also feel the begining of the end for these bullying tactics from the likes of the MPAA and RIAA as people are starting to cotten on to it and facing them head on

8. modster

modster What's a Dremel?

i hope this guy can rip some money off MPAA and RIAA

9. Agent_M

Agent_M Minimodder

also wouldnt owning it give him the right to have a digital copy downloaded or not?

10. jackjr

jackjr What's a Dremel?

I think there was a precedence set here recently as well, that one other lady won against them (the RIAA retracted the charges) and were forced to pay her legal fees. If this goes to court, which I sincerely hope it does, I can only assume that the RIAA will have to pay his legal fees as well if he wins..

Yes, but... Downloading via bittorrent (if in fact he did) is also constitutes file sharing.. That part he does not have the right to do..

11. quack

quack Minimodder

I hope he kicks arse in court. Good luck to him!

12. jjsyht

jjsyht Hello, my name is yuri

...Because downloading via bittorrent, also means sharing/distributing to others.
    He has to be careful (if he did indeed use bittorrent or any p2p)

13. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

PMSL!!!

I'm glad he didn't just pay the $2.5k since it would be pocket change to him anyway.

Why don't we all (as music lovers) start a class-action lawsuit against the RIAA and MPAA etc for using illegal tactics or something?

I mean seriously, if some silly bint in the US can burn herself on her hot (did she expect it to be cold?) McDonalds coffee and sue them (and win!), surely we could all chip in and start up some kind of counter-suit to all the MPAA and RIAA suits?

The president set by the woman going to court and winning against them can only help. :)

I'm no lawyer though, anyone able to poke the holes in this idea?

14. Reins

Reins What's a Dremel?

I have to give him respect for standing up to these guys.

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I hope he tells his lawyer to seek punitive damages, on grounds of malicious prosecution! :naughty:

16. udjamaflip

udjamaflip -

likewise, why would a guy that rich download stuff, most people who download are kids/students who cant phyisically afford to have a luxurious collection of legal media.

anyway, up yours mpaa about time u stopped picking on 8 year old children :p

17. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Isn't he countersuing as well? I seem to remember reading something to that effect on Slashdot. Anyways, it's widely expected that the MPAA will drop the charges after everyone has forgotten about this, just so they won't have a legal prescendent set against them (nevermind the RICO act).

18. das_mod

das_mod What's a Dremel?

this has to be one of the best stories i have read in a while ... :D

take THAT MPAA

19. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

I have a feeling that the MPAA will just drop this charge now, having never played defense on the pitch.

However, I hope this guy sues them in return.

20. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

so if u dl from bittorrent and dont get to a share ratio of 1 and therefore havent shared a full version of the file surely you can no be done for file sharing as you havent actually shared the file. only for downloaidng it illegally

Tags: Add Tags