1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MS: "The worst Xbox 360 failures are behind us"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Feb 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. icutebluezone

icutebluezone The meaning of life is to MOD

Mine dyed after about 1 month. GTA4. got it repaired free and was fast repair then sold it after about 3 weeks.

3. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

I got my 360 oct 2006. In the last couple of weeks the disc drive has stopped opening without a little prod... but it still works fine :shrug:

It is out of warranty now though, presumably if it dies I'll have to buy a new one.

4. rhuitron

rhuitron Bump? What Bump?

Honestly, I think The 360, has beat PS3. Respectfully.

If i bought a Console, I would buy a 360. It has all the games I really ever want.
    But alas, I still will keep building my huge performance machine. ;-)

5. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

I thought all 360's had their warranty extended to 3yrs....if i were you, i would, cough..err, 'help' the disc drive on its way and phone them up for a repair/replacement.

6. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

the 3 year warrantee usually only applies to RROD

7. craigey1

craigey1 Minimodder

I've never had a problem with my 360 & I've had it from new about 6 months after launch.

8. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I had the same problem. When my 360 RROD'd over the xmas07 period, when it came back they'd also replaced the drive.

9. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

these problem's just shouldn't have happened. Especially after somewhat similar issues with the original xbox. Not terrible for 2nd generation hardware, but its not like they didnt have tons of examples to go off of...

10. rollo

rollo Modder

theres not a single exclusive game for either console

ps3 360 or wii

that id be tempted to go buy tbh.

all 360 exclusives get ported at some point anyway.

my 360 and wii are just expensive dust collectors

ps3 is a blue ray / media center

theres my uses of this generation of hardware

2 dust collectors and a media center

pc all the way

11. rollo

rollo Modder

some 2nd hand games stores also refuses to buy 360 consoles in ( they 2nd hand game and console store) As they dont want to the hassle of a console with known issues.

you can get a wii 2nd hand for about £90 now

ps3 is about £140 mark in most places.

or you can buy a brand new 360 for about £140 ish ( arcade version)

360 elite and ps3 brand new are about the same cost most places now

12. Dvs98SK

Dvs98SK What's a Dremel?

I think they just disabled the RROD lights. My console started acting strange video output wise after i got a new one from RROD. I'm not the only one either. http://forums.xbox.com/1/16737900/ShowPost.aspx#16737900
    Seems to me it plays through the error now. When i called for this problem i had to go through a lot of crap to get it fixed. I have a extended warranty from them though so it covers everything wrong with it not just RROD. If i didn't have it though i fear they may not fix this for u with out paying since its not technically the RROD.

13. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

I sent my second 360 away for repair this week. My first lasted just under a year so I took it back to the shop. Then that one failed last Thursday.

I don't know whether to buy a new one and sell the repaired one when it comes back or not.

14. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

My Dec 2008 360 Elite has just RRoD'd with a RAM fault on Friday 13th (lol) so thats off to MS...

15. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

After a couple of months?! I'm definitely not sure about buying a new one now :(

16. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

The 360 has been the biggest failure in console history. I dont get how they could continue selling them when they have a known design fault. Any other product and company would have been recalled. MS just throws money at it and everyone doesnt mind? I dont get it.

17. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

The 360 failures are really bad. But I would not consider the 360 being a complete failure.

I know very few people that own a PS3, everyone has a Wii, most are used rarely. I use to have a Wii, but I sold it because I didn't use it at all. I played half way through Super Mario Galaxy, bought couple SNES games and played those. Tried Wii Sports for awhile, but then I just stopped playing.

The people that "game" here own a 360. It's the most common console in my area I would say.

I play my 360 almost everyday. It's been working good for me. :) *knock on wood*

18. SolidSnakeUS

SolidSnakeUS What's a Dremel?

See, the thing is, the 3DO didn't even die this much. It seemed to be more reliable than the 360 haha. But the biggest reason they can keep selling these things is because they pretty much have unlimited money (relatively speaking) and a supposedly easy SDK. If it wasn't for both of these (it would fail if one of these were not the case), the 360 would be as dead as the 3DO.

19. bridgesentry

bridgesentry 3verything must bee wat3rcooled

My Xbox360 overheated (red light + not start, not as RROD) one time. I watercooled it, the price of the cooling system is almost the same as the Xbox (and you must have some enthusiasm for hardware). Now it has run more than 2 years, average 2 hrs a day, with many time run 4-5 hrs nonstoped, and I think it can run like that forever.
    But if you don't have enough experience of hardware, I don't recommend it.

20. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Trust me mikeuk it escapes me as well. People seem to love the failure rate, and happily put down the money on a brand new one when the warranty runs out. It's sad when even sites like Kotaku PROUDLY claim to be on their 7th (or was it 8th?) console. A friend of mine is on his 3rd, I'm on my second, my sister's RROD right out of the box. If anything Microsoft has learned that good hardware doesn't matter. An easy SDK, and throwing money at every developer will get you a bigger user base and more money than good Q&A on your hardware. The fact that some people actually try to use MS's 3yr warranty on the RROD as something to tout over the Wii and PS3 is funny (a 3yr Warranty hasn't been required until MS's Xbox 360).

Tags: Add Tags