1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling MSI 790FX-GD70 Cooler/memory physical issue!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by lerxster, 18 Oct 2009.

1. lerxster

lerxster What's a Dremel?

I have just bought:

MSI 790FX-GD70
    4GB (2x2GB) CorsairTwinX XMS3 large heat sinks
    Thermalright Ultra-120

Couple of questions: the Thermalright blocks the first 2 DIMMS (the fan spring partially blocks DIMM3 but can be modified!) because of it's orientation. In the manual it says for a successful system boot up you must have memory in DIMM1 slot... but I have seen photos of my issue on a review of the motherboard with 'oversized' memory in DIMM3-4.

[​IMG]

If this isn't a problem which way should I orientated the cooler? Cool air in from the top of the case and hot air down towards the GFX? or the other way round? The northbridge heatsink doesn't get and nice air whoosing over it apart from the air being sucked out the back.

The other option I have was to get the Corsair H50-1 and avoid any problems. The only problem is that the Lian Li X1000 (yes I have more money than sense...but it's soooo lovely :D) has 140mm fans on the back and no way to fit the radiator. I have seen 140-120 convertors but that's normally to upgrade from 120 to 140 not the other way round. I am worried about the strength of the fixings versus the weight of the radiator!

Any help/opinions would be appreciated. Anyone got a better idea about which CPU cooler would fit?

As an aside, I'm really annoyed that in designing the AM2/3 socket, which hosts AMDs flagship CPUs, they didn't take into account the fact that many people will want to run overclocking machines with large heatsinked memory.

Last edited: 18 Oct 2009
  2. doggeh

doggeh What's a Dremel?

The cooler should be oriented so that the fan blows air through the cooler and out the BACK of the case. Looking at the picture you've supplied you should rotate the cooler 90degrees clockwise so that the fan is closest to the RAM slots. This should also free up the other 2 slots tho it looks like it might be tight!

3. lerxster

That's the problem! It's physically impossible to turn it around! :(

4. doggeh

doggeh What's a Dremel?

Well that's a bit speshul! :grr:

5. sentek

sentek What's a Dremel?

ive had the same problem as you (although using a nexus xir cooler),
    and its really hard to find ram short enough to fit into the 1 & 2 slots..
    however last time i tried i was using the original bios and since then ive updated it, so i will have another try later today and see it that changes anything.. it may account for why you have seen some people using the 3 & 4 slots in reviews.

edit: comp boots fine for me now using dimm slots 3 & 4, i guess it is a bios issue as i havnt changed anything else since i last tried and it didnt work (im using version 1.5)

Last edited: 18 Oct 2009
  6. lerxster

That's very good news! Thanks for checking! Have you played any games or done any tests to see if that configuration is stable?

7. sentek

sentek What's a Dremel?

not had a chance to yet, will do some prime95/memtest tonight and maybe play some l4d xD

edit: ran 2hrs of prime95 blend test and a little over 100% coverage on memtest with 0 errors, also played a short game of l4d too with no probs at all.. i know its not enough to say its 100% stable but its looking good

Last edited: 19 Oct 2009
  8. lerxster

Great news. Thanks for testing! Bought a Zalman 9900 as backup.

9. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

But is it running in dual channel?

10. sentek

sentek What's a Dremel?

i believe so.
    cpu-z shows "DC Mode: Unganged" (dc = dual channel, right?)
    i also have the option to set it to ganged in the bios

11. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

It says "DC Mode: Symmetric" for me. (I have 4x2GB sticks.)

I think what you're after is "Channels #" (just above "DC Mode"), says Dual for me.

12. sentek

sentek What's a Dremel?

ahh, thanks :thumb:

i was looking in the wrong place then xD

it says "Channels #: Dual" for me too