1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards MSI B450 pro M2 max/R3 pro 4350G = black screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kim, 1 Jan 2022.

1. kim

kim hardware addict

Although I have already assembled 6 ryzen computers without any issues, it turns out this new one is causing me troubles, hence I turn myself towards you guys, for any suggestion or whatever I could have miss in the process...
    So the facts are.
    I am mounting a light desktop apps PC for a friend, to replace his old sluggish laptop, and because he only has a small budget, I tried to find out second hand's gear, and I managed with a lot of internet scouring to buy the main part of components for less than 100 euros:
    MSI B450M PRO M2 : 30 euros
    8 gig of ram Gskill Aegis 2133Mhz :40 euros
    SSD M2 500 GB :30 euros
    Then I found a Ryzen 3 Pro 4350G for 170 euros, and a 300w psu for 40 euros witch makes a total of 310 euros for a reasonably powerful desktop PC, certainly much more powerfull than whatever laptop he could buy for this amount.
    I put everything together this afternoon, adding a mouse/keyboard and linked it via HDMI on a screen but unluckilly, I couldn't get my hands on a little speaker to hear the bips, but well, I was confident and I pulled on the starting knob... it started, the fan was spinning silently, but the screen remained black.
    I changed of screen and also tried others graphic outputs VGA and Dlink gave the same result.
    I tried to run it with another kit of ram, same thing. I even added a graphic card, but it was also black screen.
    I am going to search more thoroughly in my boxes to find a speaker, but until I get there, I still dunno what could be the issue here, I dismounted the CPU fan and removed the Ryzen, watching carefully the pins with a loup to spot out if any was twisted, but no, so I start to wonder what to do next, except listening on bips if I can find out this f...g speaker :lol:

Last edited: 14 Feb 2022
  2. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Maybe a BIOS update? The B450 chipset was around a fair time before the 4350G.

kim likes this.
  3. kim

kim hardware addict

Yeah, relevant :thumb: I had this thought too, but I am scared of doing it without any screen, last time I've flashed the UEFI, it was with a gigabyte B450 aorus pro wifi, in a way to run a Ryzen 5-3600x; it was pretty easy but it's an expensive mother-board, here the MSI is low cost hardware, and last time I had a screen...:rollingeyes:
    but well :idea:, perhaps, I will just dismount my rig and test the ryzen on my B550 so I can be sure it's not any CPU issue, but it will not solve the Bios flashing thing :sad:

Last edited: 2 Jan 2022
  4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

That CPU will need a bios update in all probability.

I've found MSI updates pretty unstressful and straightforward

kim likes this.
  5. kim

kim hardware addict

Thank you for passing by Adidan :grin:, happy new year and all this sort of things
    Fine, guys you've convinced me, I will try the bios update, in the blind :worried:

6. kim

kim hardware addict

Well, thinking about it, there's no way, so I will just buy a new proc, certainly an athlon 200ge, and I will keep it for future flashings, I think that's the only way.
    thank you all

7. adidan

No way?

It may be worth looking in the manual, my B450M Mortar Max I can flash without a CPU installed - I'm not sure if all B450 MSI boards can do this but it may be worth a look if that's all that's stopping you.

kim likes this.
  8. kim

kim hardware addict

Well, before saying this, I checked my manuel, and what I found was simply this:

Updating BIOS:
    1. Press Del key to enter the BIOS Setup during POST.
    2. Insert the USB flash drive that contains the update file into the computer.
    3. Select the M-FLASH tab and click on Yes to reboot the system and enter the flash
    mode.
    4. Select a BIOS file to perform the BIOS update process.
    5. After the flashing process is 100% completed, the system will reboot
    automatically.
    As you can see it might be hard to select and click on yes in the blind...

Then I checked other vids and topics about it to find more informations but regarding what I've read or watched, it is only possible with a flash button, witch I don't have, or a compatible proc...
    I found this : AMD Athlon 200GE - 3.2 GHz = 62.90 euros TTC, ordered already, i'm sure it will be helpfull if ever i have to flash another B450 in the future.

9. adidan

That's what I was unsure of, whether all boards had the flash button or not, a bit annoying that.

kim likes this.
  10. kim

kim hardware addict

:hehe: absolutely annoying 'would say :grin:

adidan likes this.
  11. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Is it worth seeing if anyone nearby could lend you a CPU just to upgrade the BIOS? Or a local computer repair store might do it for a small charge?

kim likes this.
  12. kim

kim hardware addict

Thank you for this smart advice BeauchN, but I have no friend around me, who's got something else but tablets laptops or celfons, and for towns nearby, they are small and computer shops are poor, most have certainly less hardware than myself, I am building, fixing and collecting computers for years, and I'm the only nerd around I'm afraid, so 62 euros for something that might be pretty usefull if I have to install ryzen CPU's on B450 boards, witch might happen again :grin:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 3 Jan 2022
  13. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

That is quite a lot of hardware! More than most of us I expect :)

kim likes this.
  14. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

A lot of MSI boards have a specific, usually different coloured usb port on the rear IO for blind bios flashing.

kim likes this.
  15. kim

kim hardware addict

Thank you for this additional information David, yes I noticed that with some previous boards, but the MSI B450M PRO M2 max has got 6 USB ports on the rear IO:
    2x USB 2.0 black color, and 4 USB 3, blue color:
    [​IMG]
    besides, I really scoured over the manuel and found nothing more about bios update than what I posted above, it seems this very cheap board can only be flashed with a compatible CPU, unless you're ready to venture into bios-flashing to the blind :grin:

16. kim

kim hardware addict

This is just a part of the hardware boxes I had in hands :grin:... some clients want to keep the boxes when I build them a PC, but I propose a discount if they let me hoard the packages :lol:, I am a tad "nuts" perhaps like all collectors, but if this induces a sentimental and pictural value for me, it also have a relative monetary value...