1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics MSI GTX 970 Core/Memory Clock Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrMKellow, 17 Dec 2014.

1. MrMKellow

MrMKellow What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone,

I recently built a new gaming rig with an i7 4790k @4.8Ghz paired with an MSI 'Gaming Edition' GTX 970 and as I would do overclocked and tested with Furmark, Heaven to ensure it was stable and the temperatures stayed within 50-70c range under full load.

Currently I have +220 on the core and +300 on the memory with the power limit set at 110%. Everything seems absolutely fine, I haven't noticed any crashed whilst gaming in Far Cry 4 or artifacts in any of the benchmarking tools. With most 970 cards I do have a some coil whine which is slightly annoying, although I tend to enable V-sync in most games and that solves the issue. My problem is however, I've noticed on MSI afterburner readings that sometimes, despite my card sitting at 55-60c at full load with my gaming fan profile and the power % not going above 105% I've seen some dips in core and memory clock speeds. For example, the core clock would drop from 1520(ish) almost down to stock levels for a small brief moment. Is this something to worry about? It shouldn't matter if I enable V-sync right, it should continue to operate at the overlocked speeds?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Could I also ask is 59fps average in heaven at 1080p maxed with 8xAA etc is a good value? I think I scored slightly over 1500 if I recall.

I'll list the build in case it helps identify an issue:

Intel i7 4790k @ 4.8GHz
    Corsair H80i with Corsair SP Performance Fans
    Asus Maximus VII Ranger (latest BIOS version)
    4x4GB Corsair Vengeance (2133MHz)
    MSI GTX 970 4G (+220 core +300 memory)
    Corsair AX860 Power Supply

Last edited: 17 Dec 2014
  2. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

your heaven results look about right, i would not worry about the clock speeds to much bencing mine jumps all over the place from 1540 down to 1490 and anything inbtween.
    cant get my head around the whole boost clocks