1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MSI tells customers to RTFM

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Mar 2010.

1. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

Seems not everyone thinks the same way....

2. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

Nice one MSI, it shows us that the company has a human side, even if it was an angry ex-employee! I think it makes MSI image better :D

Will buy MSi next time :p

3. GW42

GW42 What's a Dremel?

I did get both emails, and where in the article you are referring to MSI, you seem to be quoting the second email but saying "the company". The email though gives the sender as "MSI HQ User to User Forum". I had always understood that the MSI forum was a user to user support forum and that even the Mods were users, not employees.

Actually, 2 second google to check, and searching for "MSI forum" the first result was "MSI HQ User to User Forum - Index". The stickied threads (again 2 seconds to find...) includes one called "How to contact MSI for help" and explains "As this forum is simply run by users for the benefit of all MSI users, and MSI support staff don't have access here, there may be occasions where you are unable to obtain help here." Another sticky confirms "No one in these forums is formally employed by MSI".

So I wonder whether BT has actually MSI for a comment as to whether the company sanctioned the joke (and to me at least, it really was obvious it was a joke). Or was it, as it seems to me, entirely customer/user generated silliness. The article to me seems a wee bit misleading, assuming I'm not 100% wrong....

Edit: as to whether MSI need to keep a tighter leash on their user to user support forum, well, I guess the answer is yes. Having just re-read the 1st email, the body of the email does give the impression of being a company action, though I still think the company knew Jack about the email before it was sent.

Last edited: 29 Mar 2010
  4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

+234234

Where it gets even funnier is when they simply throw that paper stuff away, especially good for a laugh if IT departments of larger companies do it.

5. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

I think the RTFM manual chip is actually a pretty good idea...

6. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

LOL still making me chuckle

7. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

If I got that e-mail I would have a good lol

8. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

I can't help but laugh at this situation, simply because MSI is right! Nowadays, people just don't bother to read the manual and even if they don't understand half of what it's written in there, at least they have read it and can ask a proper question refering to a specific option in the bios or something about the board - although the board part is quite a duh question since it hasn't any tricky part.

Come on, they might be early on the gag but they were spot on with it. Wished sometimes we could say something like that to people.

9. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Every product should come with a giant glowing sign that says "Read the F*cking Manual" - I worked in retail, and remember people returning products (simple ones too, like a cordless phone) and when you ask them what is wrong with it, they said "I don't know - it just doesn't work". You then ask them "Did you read the manual, or set-up instructions?" and they're response 99% of the time is "Why should I? It should just work".

Maybe a system of publicly shaming lazy/stupid customers would work better.

10. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

probably a gag meant to go between mods, or support people and some poor unwitting sap who asked a very stupid question. funny in context, but then it got out and all hell broke loose.

Really though is it that big of a deal? RTFM

11. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

+1 for MSI, I love pranking on April 1st; and have already acquired the stuff I need for what I will be doing to my fellow co-workers and wife.

12. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

you mean early not late lol,

anyhow I dont blame the forum people for being sick of stuff answered in the manual and it was kinda funny

13. SteveU

SteveU Minimodder

People seem to have missed the crucial point here, this being the people who failed to RTFM are hardly likely to RTF(Email) either!!

;D

14. FR34K

FR34K What's a Dremel?

^ :thumb:

15. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

I thought it was funny. But, seeing as I had a huge RTFM sign hanging over my head when I worked as a Tech, (and frequently pointed to that one, and the "Google is your friend" partner to it when asked mind-bogglingly idiotic questions that were answerred either in the manual, on the Manufacturers website, or with the very first hit in google), it's not surprising really is it?

16. nitrous9200

nitrous9200 What's a Dremel?

I got the email too, laughed a bit but wasn't too sure what to think.

But yes, I would be able to take their claims a bit more seriously if their Engrish wasn't so terrible. I remember a few years ago, a friend and I would look up MSI press releases and mock their abominable spelling and grammar (whilst laughing our heads off).

Tags: Add Tags