1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Multiple LEDs to HD activity

Discussion in 'Modding' started by tornaxl, 17 Mar 2006.

1. tornaxl

tornaxl What's a Dremel?

I am looking to connect multiple LEDs to my HD activity header on my motherboard. I am looking to uses these LEDs (http://www.thinkgeek.com/pcmods/lighting/809e/) but I know I just can't splice them into the motherboard.

Can someone please let me know if what I want to do is possible. If so how?

Thanks.

2. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

Well, I'd use a relay. Connect the + (That should go to a led) to the relay, and connect the 12v (or is it 5?) to the relay, and then from the relay to the leds. Should do it. I aint that good at that stuff tho :/

3. DR_D

DR_D What's a Dremel?

would the relay be able to pulse fastest enough with out destroying the contacts?

what about an opto-coupler and some transistors?

4. ARM

ARM Minimodder

5. tornaxl

tornaxl What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replies. However, I am lost with this optoisolator stuff. If someone can provide a simple diagram of how to connect the HD leads to the optoisolator then to the 12v lead off the LEDs it would help out a ton.

Thanks

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

A relay won't work, there's only about 10mA available. Opto-isolator is the best way.

Most optoisolators won't carry the current for several LEDs in parallel so you need to add a current-boost transistor as shown in a few similar threads. :search:

[​IMG]

Get the opto datasheet to sort out the pins.

7. bender386

bender386 What's a Dremel?

the other reason i would not use a relay is that when the switch they make a clicking noise. which would be very anoying if switching at those speeds.