1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple RAID arrays on MSI K8N Neo2?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by -Xp-, 3 Jun 2005.

1. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

Ive had a quick search and couldn't see this mentioned, so here I go:

I'm planning on getting some more hard drives for media storage, and then RAID the two I have. However this will be rather pointless if the NVIDIA RAID tool only allows one array. When looking at it, there doesn't seem to be the option to have more than one array. I couldn't find the answer to this anywhere, so is there a chance that one of you with a K8N Neo2 could hit F10 on startup and tell me if there's an option?

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Heres a tip. Don't use RAID. It hurts performance and is more likely to loose data.

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

well it doesn't hurt performance, at least not in RAID0 (somewhat higher seek times, but much better sustained transfer, and if your drive is defragged then the transfer means more), but you are twice as likely to lose data.

Wish I could tell you... I've used the mobo, but it's in a friends build. Personally, I didn't really like it (crap bios for overclocking, it locks up if you go into the htt settings with enter), it was a quick sub in for an out-of-stock Epox 9nda3+

4. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

Heh, I don't intend on having a drive die on me. If a single drive dies then I will loose half my data anyway. I was actually just thinking of Spanning my media partition because I don't need the performance gained from striping.

However I've had a look around and one place has a screenshot that looks as if you might be able to have more than one array.

5. *mat-ster*

*mat-ster* What's a Dremel?

Hi XP,

I would reconsider RAID - It just aint worth the bother!

+1 mirror, OK if you have "mission critical" stuff but apart from that Why? for mariginal performance gain at best....

Like Firehed has pointed out you can (happened to me) loose access to all your data on your harddrives....even with just a minpr corrupted sector!

My advice, buy a faster more reliable harddrive in the first place and keep it cool!! - the most common cause of HD failure after "unjustified" (in other words a Mobo or cable problem) and shock damage".

Go over to storagereview.com for more impartial advice.

:) Matty

6. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

As much as I apperciate your replies, I made this topic to ask if it was possible to set up multiple arrays on the K8n Neo2 Platinum.

I did not ask if anyone would recommend RAID to me. I'ev already made that decision. I know the risks, I know the gains. I know all about RAID. I know what I'm doing. What I don't know is if my board will allow multiple arrays, hence my question.

So, is there a chance that somebody can answer my initial question instead of telling me to nost use RAID? To me that isn't an answer and shouldn't be posted here.