1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster My beloved radeon 9800 PRO original ATI

Discussion in 'Modding' started by fuksis, 21 Dec 2004.

1. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Ackh...Tis a shame then.

You're lucky then. I would venture a guess to say that the two biggest causes of hardware failure are:
    1) A leaky watercooling setup
    2) A cable sleeving gone wrong

It seems like tons of people are buggering sleeving, and it's a deadly mistake because it's so simple to do. Don't pay attention and put ONE wire in wrong, and don't double check your work, and you can potentially lose an entire molex chain of hardware, and more than once I've seen a really cheap psu be completely b0rked by a bad sleeving jobby. Just gotta be careful and triple-check your work when doing these

2. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

the first one on the other hand has raped me many a time (leaky water jobby)

3. Snaek

Snaek What's a Dremel?

Ouch... I've done that once but fortunately all I lost was a couple cathodes...

4. Tulatin

:grr: how could you lose cathodes by feeding the inverter 5v? or did you reverse it's 12v and gnd lines.

5. epidemik

epidemik What's a Dremel?

i feel sorry for you man. Sh!t happens. I hope it turns out good for you in the end.

Don't feel so bad..I killed a p4 3.2ghz Northwood 4 days ago :sigh:

6. Tulatin

how'd you kill it?

7. fuksis

fuksis What's a Dremel?

Well men sorry to hear about the lose. Well I have gotten over it by now and thinking what to get and what to do ;)
    So any way thanks guys for replays ;)
    Current setup 64MB video and new 160G hdd so that won’t work for long ;)

8. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

9800pro burned up aswell

hmm, thats an expensive lesson dude, sorry to hear that.

I have a Sapphire 9800Pro 128mb. (well I don't have atm)
    I bought it in AUGUST. Worked with it for a short while, then suddenly it dosnt work.. I open up my case and a little tiny heatsink had fallen off and the little ic burned out. I immediatly took it to my show, he sed they would fix or replace it... (I don't think they replace stuff like this, but anyway). He sended it off. and the waiting begun.

Now, 3 months further, I'm still without my 9800Pro. I'm getting a new one, with new guarantee (atleast thats what the shop told me), but I have to wait untill they are back in stock, wich could take a while... :eyebrow:

wich basically means : screw you, you might get a card when we have some new models and the 9800pro is old and worth alot less then what you paid for.

I bought an extra moniotor with that computer too, wich is completely useless because my old graphics card (wich I'm still using) doesnt support dual screens.

stupid ATI and their ****ed up service.

its not the same case as with you though, as you killed your card with your own hands, I didn't have anything to do with it.

L

9. fuksis

fuksis What's a Dremel?

He hee well yes it is my entire fault ;)
    That is why I am not swearing at ATI.
    But I will be getting new shortly at the moment now I am shopping for a new 17’ LCD.
    I think I will be getting 2 of them. Only my old video card does not support dual as well so that will just push me to get new radeon 9800 ASAP.
    Sorry to hear about your card but nothing you can really do except go give store $hit every day ;)
    Well I hope you will get it soon.

10. epidemik

epidemik What's a Dremel?

While trying to remove the stock intel cooler...somehow the thermal compound which is on the damn thing got stuck to it...and it wouldn't budge like friken glue!...i accidently reefed the bugger out of the socket quite nicely bending 50 pins...and while trying to straighten them up i knocked one out!

its @ intel atm .. I hope they'll replace it.
    :baby:

11. The cheapskate

The cheapskate One custom title before Matty

rember people screwing multi million pound companies is wrong, an it should never even be considered :worried:

12. cheazypeaz

cheazypeaz What's a Dremel?

hi

i do feel sorry for your loss but my god thats stupid

how long does it take to get a y splitter and check the colours of all the wires inside your computer against it... i mean its red and yellow how the hell can you go wrong!

My comp has custom soldered lengths of wire all done not even colour coded for my hdd molex's and i have never managed to break one by screwing up the voltages... and im only 16 ...

Jesus if u dunno wot ur doing dont touch!

13. |I.H|

|I.H| What's a Dremel?

They make Mistakes, They learn :rolleyes:

14. Tulatin

apparently he didnt learn from his multiple gramatical mistakes... :rolleyes:

15. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Lmao, ditto. And what the hell good does it do to wave it in his face and call him a dumbass? Ok, you're cool....:rolleyes:

16. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

chill out guys not every one is as good at matching cables up as cheazypeaz but then again almost evryone is better than him at typing/speaking english :D

17. Yelrad

Yelrad What's a Dremel?

no more sleeving for u but that does suc 3 HDD and 1 Video Man I Will Flip out like snap everything

18. WaZzUp115

WaZzUp115 What's a Dremel?

Damn it.. I feel so lucky reading this.. :blah:.. err..
    I've never broken anything, though I have a friend whom always* breaks hardware everytime he opens his computer..

*almost :D

19. Who_me_33

Who_me_33 What's a Dremel?

Ive never damaged any thing on my new computer (well i did do a fan controler in, but i sleeved the supply cable and borked that), but when I sleeve any thing now i put a bit of vivid on the red side (if i feeling bored, i colour the whole plug in red in the end.
    Sorry to hear about the card aswell.

20. Chucjy

Chucjy What's a Dremel?

unlucky there had a friend do similar

guess I'am just lucky but Ive sleeved 2 psu's and never cocked things up :)