1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding My first Dremel work.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by B[x], 22 Aug 2006.

1. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

I've recently been getting interested in case modding and have been thinking up possible mods. I definitely want to design my own window so I'm looking into using the Lian Li PC-61 since it's a solid mid-tower case without any holes or ridges to get in the way of whatever design I wind up with.

A little background on my current design - I go by my last name amongst my friends which begins with an 'S'. For that reason I wanted to incorporate an S into the design. I came up with the following design using AutoCAD 2006 (the blue is what will be cut out):
    [​IMG]

Initially I was thinking of using the water jet cutter at my school to accurately cut out a window. However, my impatience led me to buy a Dremel tool (the XPR 400) and a couple files to test out a design on an old case to see how it looked off paper. After spending a few man hours on cutting it out and filing it down I'm pretty happy with the result. I had to scale down the design to fit inside of the ridges of this panel. By the way, since this design has point symmetry, some of the pictures are backwards due to me placing the side panel the wrong way. Oh well. The final pictures are of the correct orientation.
    [​IMG]
    Laying out the printed out design on the case inside of the ridges.

[​IMG]
    I etched out the design onto the case and peeled off the tape. In hindsight that wasn't the best of ideas - I should have left the tape on to prevent the stray marks. Ignore the red cross hairs, I put them on in haste and they were off the mark. I ended up ignoring them and taping on the design by eye since this was a test piece, after all.

[​IMG]
    The four circles were cut out. Before resizing the design to fit this panel, these holes were 80mm across; I was playing around with the idea of putting fan grill over these holes. This idea is still be mulled over. I might affix them somehow to the piece of lexan on the inside as not to mar the side panel with unnecessary holes.

[​IMG]
    The larger rings were cut.

[​IMG]
    As with all rotary tool work, the edges are rough and sharp.

[​IMG]
    The edges are filed down a bit and the contour holes are roughly cut.

[​IMG]
    The contour holes are rounded out and all edges are filed down to be finger-smooth. Ignore the blue marks on the contour holes.

Keep in mind that this is my first experience with using a rotary tool on aluminum so I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. My next step would be to take some bondo to fill in the stray marks and such. Afterwards I'd sand it down and prime/paint it. Since this is just a test piece I'm not going to go through all that just yet.

Let me know what you guys think of my design and workmanship. Also, if you have any suggestions as to what can be changed with the design as well as what can be done with the rest of the case, let me know. I'm more into physical alterations than playing with color schemes. I'm definitely going to stealth my drives and will probably play around with lipping some fan holes like Defyant did in this mod/guide.

2. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

That is rather good, much better than my first go at it (thankfully on a test piece) Looks good and the design looks good.

3. led_zeppelinzoso

led_zeppelinzoso What's a Dremel?

Dude, if you have effing water jet at your disposal, use it. My school only has a D&M 3 axis mill with a Bosch router zip tied to it, which sucks. We call it the sea king helicopter, (I hope someone out there gets that joke)

4. lnr

lnr What's a Dremel?

That's cool man :hip:

Always good to learn a new skill and its unlikely that you'll have access to a hardcore cutting tool for the rest of your life. Besides, you don't need it. A lick of paint will hide the few flaws I see there. Still looks a little jagged, but I assume thats just scuffs and scratchs (paint!)

Like the design too. Keep switching my focus from whats cut away and whats left (?).

What else are you doing to your case?

5. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

Using the water jet cutter is still an option. However, doing this mod by hand by way of the Dremel gave me a lot of satisfaction. Not only that but the result came out a lot better than I previously thought I was capable of.
    And sorry, that joke flew over my head.

Thanks, lnr. There are a couple scratches that I don't know if several coats of primer/paint would mask, hence the thought of touching up with a little bondo. The edges in the pictures do look a little jagged but yes, that is due to the scuffs and scratches. The light reflects off of the areas where paint was removed to make them seem like they're almost not there. I assure you that the lines are quite circular.

6. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

I dont get it, explain.

7. lnr

lnr What's a Dremel?

joke because it is semi-makeshift?

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

So why is it a Sea-King Helicopter? Hardly a makeshift vehicle...

9. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

Probs because the H3 Sea King is a multi purpose aircraft used across the world in a huge variety from sea rescue to military deployment to Presidential transportation and though it is capable of a wide range of tasks it is a master of non of them. The Sea King sea rescue for example was designed and built with winches and areas for specialized equipment and injured passengers, but the original chassis and the helicopter was not designed around sea rescue/ military transport/ civilian transport specifically so it was make shift....

Is that right perhaps... maybe I've just wasted my time... :wallbash:

10. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick What's a Dremel?

Dude, that looks great. If in the future you decide to cut designs again, you may want to give some thought to the dremel circle cut attachment or the sawz-all attachment. They're both really great for cutting designs, the circle attachment for small, intricate stuff and the sawz-all for stuff for larger cuts. Unfortunately, I have neither and my Dad (who does) lives 3 hours away. :\

11. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

Looks great. Good job :D

12. cire9753

cire9753 What's a Dremel?

i cant even cut a circle and you can do this...nice work

13. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

well I lived near Helston Cornwall where the RAFs big chopper base was - and i presume ya mill was very noisy and vibrated a LOT ? :)