1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding My First Mod, a simple window :)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Tris, 9 Jun 2004.

1. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

Just thought i would post a little case mod i did for abuse by the masses.

Its not much but i like it. ;)

U can check it out here:

http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~tmccar/casemod/synapsemod.html :dremel:

Tris aka Synapse

PS pics continue to load after the page says "done" so give it a chance if ur conn is a bit slow :)

2. evilstriker

evilstriker What's a Dremel?

i gotta say it did a pretty nice effect

i like the "contour" effect you did but taping everything out and leave avour 1cm from the border of the cut-out to paint it white!. I rarely see something like that. most people juste pay the whole thing same same color!

As for the window is it a tinted red plexy? or is it something you did?

3. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

Its a sheet of clear "glazing material", basically an acrylic sheet u can pick up from most diy stores, sprayed with some glass paint to tint it.

Tris

4. evilstriker

evilstriker What's a Dremel?

oh really can you take a pic of the glass paint? im gonna go brab some cuz its looks awsome

5. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

Yes i defintly think the glass paint tint stuff will be getting you more attenetion then your window. whare is that pic or some more details like braind exact stuff said on can etc...

6. PsychoI3oy

PsychoI3oy Minimodder

as much as it was to cover a screwup, that silver outline of the dragon really makes it pop. nice effect :)

7. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

I see I'm not the only person to think of making photoshop mockups of my case to test window designs.

Nice window...Personally I would have gone with the "U" shaped one but the dragon is cool too.

8. robotguy9000

robotguy9000 What's a Dremel?

wow dude, thats awesome for a first mod,

i would have the balls to mess around with a wavemaster, i like worship those things :cooldude:

9. toss

toss What's a Dremel?

Pretty nice aye... Im prob going to do something similar but with ink and presses ;)

10. _rahoul

_rahoul What's a Dremel?

damn thats good! you planned it out so well, using Photoshop was a great idea! Just goes to show how important preperation is. I love the border and you cut it so well! Im stunned.

Top effort! :thumb:

11. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

Thanks alot for your comments guys :)

/me twirls his dremel around and looks for something else to cut up

Glass Paint:

The exact brand of paint i used is something called Plasti-Kote.

Heres a link for those too lazy to google :p http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk/Site/productsdetail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=13

I found the stuff by wandering around my local B&Q DIY store, but if you ask for glass paint in any hobby shop you will find it.

Tris

12. Jedi

Jedi What's a Dremel?

Looks mint that does. u doen a nice job with the cutting and the white highlight really complements it :rock: .
    I'm gonna have to remember that glass paint, produces a real nice result :D :clap:

13. dejay

dejay What's a Dremel?

Nice! The dragon reminds me of The Simpsons for some reason. Maybe Mr Burns or the Simpsons' cat.

14. Munich

Munich What's a Dremel?

Totally awsome, love the dragon espically! :D

15. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I really like the outlining you did on the cutout. I am planning on doing the same thing with my case, and I was wondering how it would look. I see now that outlining really makes the window stand out.

Pinstriping is often used to break-up the otherwise plain border between to large areas of color. I think that's why it works so well here. It helps give each area (black and red) a definite border. It sort of achieves the same effect as rubber moulding, but without looking tacky. The color combination looks good, as well.

The cutout itself looks great, too. Really good work for a first mod. My personal favorite of the lot is the imp sitting cross-legged, but the stylized dragon turned out great.

Keep up the good work. :dremel:

-monkey