1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling My new heatercore...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Murdoc, 20 Aug 2004.

1. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

spent a over a week doing this one...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

comments...

'doc

2. Risky

Risky Modder

Nice, very nice. I always liked the idea of top mount rads. For added style/siliness you could have the tubes looping back in the top of the case with bulkheadfittings.

3. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Wow! :eeek: Thats one of the cleanest looking heatercores i've seen. What did you make the shroud from?

Good job. :thumb:

4. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Thanks, the case looks huge now, like a beast :D

I thought about looping over the pipes, but i wanted to be able to remove the rad without disconnecting the pipes, so i slotted them through the back.

I made it from a sheet of 16Awg alu from maplins, spent about 4 days making it :/ made the bastic shape bent it in the right shape, filled it (corners) painted sanded refilled, spent ages sanding and painting...

also thanks to Dodge for his help!

'doc

5. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Is there a risk of the alu flexing and cracking the filler or is it all pretty secure?

6. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

The first time I used the filler on the shroud it did crack all too easy, byt then i got some car body repair mesh normally used with the filler and super glued it to the back of the corners, it holds it really tight and their is a lot of force when screwing it down but no cracks :D

'doc

7. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

V.nice :thumb:

One thing you need to do tho is seal around the shroud otherwise your loosing most of the air out of the gaps between core and shroud insted of it going through the core. = very bad performance hit

The way i do it is to put some strips of aluminium insulating tap around the gaps. It works a treat and looks good too.

Is the shroud made to the dimensions i gave you? it looks slightly smaller to me but i could be wrong.

8. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

Lookin good dude! I may have to pick you're moddin mind for some knowledge :thumb:

9. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

If you look closely theirs rubber around the top and bottom of the shroud, seals it nicely! :D

I used my own dimensions in the end, fairly similar to yours thou :D

Thanks jsj! anytime...

'doc

10. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Just ordered a Brass Top RBX from Coolercases! excellent price and its shiny!

should improve my temps some!

'doc

11. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Got home from stockport and waiting for me was my Brass RBX! Spent the evening puting it in...and my computer wouldn't turn on! I remounted (many times), diconnected all but vital stuff, pulled processor out to inspect their was a rounded rounded corner but it was slight and though this may be the problem but unlikely. Went to bed knackered got up tried a different proc no luck, then worked out it was the way i had the pipes, they were pulling the block off the mount! So i took the case apart and altered the holes where the pipes are, now it works great!

at stock under load (prime) 35°C

2.5ghz - 1.75v load ~43°C

'doc

EDIT: The Brass top looks damn sexual!!! and for the price £30 buy one! http://www.coolercases.co.uk/water_blocks_dangerden.htm

12. Weapon

Weapon What's a Dremel?

nice work on the core. :thumb:

I might have to try that with one of my '77 b'villes...

[​IMG]

13. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Thanks!

Their should be a guide up soon on www.gurureview.co.uk I spent a lot in materials I didn't use in the end, and too much money on paint :worried: hopefully I will help some people avoid the same.

'doc

14. M0RPH3US

M0RPH3US What's a Dremel?

what size of tubes u using ???

1/2 inner and 3/4 outer ???

15. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

yes, my personal choice also the choice of Vauxhall which makes it easier as long as you dont need to change the position of the barbs.

'doc

16. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

:D very nice indeed,
    though eww you have a Qtec psu :hehe:

17. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

agreed, sweet

Old thread tho brang up

- S

18. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

That PSU can get my XP2400 to 2.7ghz, 260fsb 1:1 with a 9800pro so its not too bad ;)

Thanks for the comments, I gave the W/C a cleanout the other day with Dodge's help, removed the BIX from my case and just using the heatercore, loudest thing is my hard-drive/ 9800 pro cooler which is soon to be replaced :D

'doc

19. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

WEAPON!

So nice to see you over here! I thought you only lived in other forums. I have read your heatercore guide a bunch of times, still deciding on what core I want in my case (I only have a 6"x10" area) so I can build mine and get this new w/c rig off the ground.

By the way, 'doc, that design looks beautiful! I like the external (though not my personal choice), and the rubber sealing was an excellent touch.

20. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Can we have some updated pics 'Doc? :D

Tags: