1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors My New Jeep. Let Me Show You It

Discussion in 'General' started by I'm_Not_A_Monster, 11 Aug 2008.

1. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

i got a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo a week ago, it's passed it's smog and everything, now it's officially mine :D

[​IMG]
    It's got a couple inch lift, nothing crazy. I'm 6'5" (1.96M) so it's right at my height

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    5.2L V-8 Engine :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    32" Goodyear Muddin' Tires

[​IMG]

i just got a few little things to take care of on it, like leave a couple 4X4 wood blocks so the jack can reach the axel if i have to change a tire, and i'd like to fix the remote for the door locks, it's actually the reason i posted this thread.

i guess the jeep i got is one of the first generations with remote door locks, because it's Infra-Red, not radio. the key fob has an LED right on the end like your TV's remote control. I'd like to get an aftermarket kit and replace the stock one, since i have to touch the remote to the glass to be close enough to open it (kind of defeats the purpose right?)

i've seen a lot of kits with all kinds of bells and whistles, but i don't want an LCD screen on the fob, I don't want an antenna on the fob looking like i've got a nipple on my thigh, i just want a basic kit.

can anyone with experience in this area suggest a good kit to operate four doors and nothing else? if i there was a bolt-on kit to make the back hatch open that would be cool, but i'd honestly rather have good range and a small remote than a bunch of bells and whistles

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Sounds daft, but have you tried changing the battery in the remote keyfob? IR systems don't work quite as well as the newer radio ones, but they still work at reasonable distance. Sounds like it's running out of power.

Nice Jeep btw, will you be off-roading in it?

3. I'm_Not_A_Monster

not yet, actually, i want to look at my options for a newer system. with my luck i'll drop $5 on batteries and the new one will be a different type lol. a radio doesn't need to be line of sight, and my view of my parking spot is blocked by the garages, so if i think i forgot to lock the doors i'll have to go outside, and my town gets about 4 days of nice weather a year.

20 minutes from my house. if anyone lives in the Bay Area in norther California, it's Carnegie Park

4. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Looking good dude. I hope you enjoy it :thumb:

I don't know if a Jeep would be my choice of off-roader... though I suppose to every man his own...

Those tyres are looking pretty sick! You going to do any mods to it? :dremel: :p

My suggestions:
    1) Snorkel
    2) Bull Bar with the reel of cord for grabbing onto things (whatever its called :p)
    3) 4 big lights somewhere on the front.
    4) Bigger fuel tank
    5) Spare tyre
    6) Heavy duty, waterproof sound system :rock:

MGT

5. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

Oooo we used to have a Grand Cherokee, back when fuel was cheap 'n' cheerful :p

I agree with modgod, we have all except the WINCH and the bigger fuel tank on our defender - 40L gives about 200m I think.

6. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

Hey congrats, nice car but it def. needs to have a lot more mud on it ;)
    *what modgodtanvir suggested*
    heres some inspiration:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

congrats man and only 20 minutes? I'm jealous :D

8. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

So you bought a monster truck.
    Nice!

9. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

doing your bit to cut carbon emissions eh? hehe nice buy mate

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Why does that look like it's been thrown in a lake after taking all the windows out?

11. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

Actually it only rolled over during some off-roading. You can see the dorr has been bent , the windows were cracked an thus taken out,
    the Bushwacker Fender Flare in the front got torn off and the roof's been slightly bent down, too. It's not that bad :D

12. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

Because it's a trail truck, and was most likely rolled or something like that on the street and used for fun since the drivetrain still worked.
    nice Jeep though, coming from someone with a Xterra that's a bit of a stretch( I jest) I want to see action shots or post action covered in mud shots of this. Nice tires too, I wish I had the clearance for 32s in my arches(31s w/o trimming) I've got some shackles for a 2 in SL waiting to go on mine.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk267/Brettr1989/IMG_6358.jpg?t=1218481208
    theres mine after some fun

13. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

Jeeees I like your truck, looking realy good especially with the mud :D
    I just would like to see some more off-road oriented tires, but I guess they just kill
    the gas milage during regular day to day on-road traffic.

14. Altron

Altron Minimodder

My uncle had a '93 GC Laredo. The alarm on that thing had a mind of its own. It would randomly lock and unlock, or go off for no reason.

Most big box electronics chains should sell an aftermarket clicker thing relatively cheap, maybe $150?

The ones with the antennae and screens you see are usually remote starts... they're 2-way systems that tell you whether the car is on, and whether or not it's locked.

15. I'm_Not_A_Monster

don't you live in Jersey? it wasn't going off for no reason, it was being stolen :D

thats why i wanted to ask, if there was only one or two systems available it would be an easy choice. i've seen a lot of different kits and i'm a little overwhelmed. if there was only one or two kits i could just pick the one that fits my needs best, but i don't know now

16. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Dirty Jersey born and raised, that's me.

The one I had in my Olds (which was $160 installed back in 2006) was made by DEI, which I think is one of the bigger and more well known ones. It's a little confusing because DEI makes stuff under a bunch of brands... Python, Viper, Hornet, Valet, a bunch of crap.

I had this one:
    http://www.viper.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=118
    Or something very similar to it.

17. I'm_Not_A_Monster

where would be a good store to look? i first tried jegs but they only have a couple units

18. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Marilyn and I had a 97 ZJ for a couple hundred thousand miles. Just remember that JEEP stands for Just Empty Every Pocket. ZJ was the flagship for that era. All the parts cost more and take longer to get.
    We loved ours, especially on the long Interstate trips in the US. Quiet, solid build, and heavy enough to feel safe in.
    Have fun.
    John

19. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

Cheers Pa!n, everything looks better covered in mud, i felt soo badass driving that around. I'm not sure about availability, but BFG makes TA KOs or Super Swamper makes some very aggresive off road tires(Boggers). Also Toyo or Nitto makes some off road tires with a decent tread. That might be more widespread in Europe.

20. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Look at a CCity or a BBuy or a Frys (if they have car audio - i've only been there once, in arizona)

Any retail electronics store that has an install bay should carry them... and install them for you. At CC, where I used to work, the keyless entry installation was built into the price.

Tags: