1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant My phone

Discussion in 'General' started by Cupboard, 16 May 2009.

1. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I have a Windows Mobile phone, set up to get emails from an IMAP server, which largely it does fine. I have a data plan from O2 which is advertised as unlimited and has a small print acceptable use of 200MB.

Yesterday evening, I get a text from O2 saying that so far this month (since the 27th) I have used 450MB data and if I go over 500MB I will get charged. Thinking this was a bit odd, I looked at the email app and sure enough it was downloading every single one of my 340 odd emails again, and this isn't the first time it has done this. I panic, turn on the WiFi and hoped for the best but get a message 30 seconds later saying something along the lines of "you need at least 17p to complete that transaction". This is odd, as I did have nearly £15 credit on my phone. :worried:

Sure enough, my phone has blitzed its way through all 500MB and then £15 of data, leaving me with the grand total balance of £0.00. Great, thanks phone! :duh:

For information, O2 charge £2.94 per MB of data so actually I might have gone over by as little 5MB

2. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Well that's not unlimited in any way, shape, or form, I'd be pissed off at O2 as well.

3. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

200MB on a pay as you go phone? Boo hoo...

Switch to pop3 and tell it to leave a copy of the message on the server and tell it to delete the copies every 2 days or however long between you getting to your PC to view them properly.

4. Cupboard

Thing is, it should only use data when I get a new email shouldn't it? I think the problem is the email app randomly deciding to re-download all emails.
    It is fairly clear that O2 do have an acceptable use policy, that it is advertised as unlimited is rather rude though.

5. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

To be honest, aren't they being quite generous if their FUP states 200MB and they've allowed you 500MB?

"Unlimited" claims, especially on mobile contracts, always need to be taken with a pinch of salt as there is usually FUP. £3 per MB is extortionate, though.

6. prosser13

prosser13 Hasn't got a Dremel!

I've got a Windows Mobile phone too - mine doesn't refresh the inbox unlike yours though, merely downloads new messages apart from the first time when it downloads the first 50 messages from the inbox, so I'd advice a different email client. :)

7. Cupboard

prosser13: That is exactly what it is supposed to do! It just doesn't sometimes :(
    Oh well, on the plus side I am not on a contract so have avoided running up a massive bill without noticing.

8. lex90

lex90 Minimodder

lol i pay 10 euros a month for real unlimited data at 3.6mbps. The customer service even encouraged me to stream internet radio rather than use the real thing.