1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Pikey rig! lol

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by coolamasta, 15 Oct 2009.

1. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

On the weekend I upgraded my main gaming machine and part time folding machine to a GTX295 which left me with an Asus GTX260 TOP model that needed a home but I had no spare slots on any of my dedicated rigs for it...

Decided to raid my spares cupboard and at the back found an Asus K8N4-E Deluxe with a beast of an AMD Sempron 2800+ (1.6ghz) and it had a PCIe slot, WIN! :naughty:

As you can see form the pic its sat on the end of my desk for now running a 54mhz OC and its pumping as I write 9100ppd on a 353 project!

What makes me laugh is the poor little 2800 Sempron is up and down from 20 to 70% CPU usage just to run the GPU2 client hahahaha :lol: :lol:

[​IMG]

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Nice job Rob! The "thrown together just to get a card folding" rigs are always the best :thumb: ;)

9K is not bad from a lowly sempron and a beastly 260! :hehe:

3. spunkymonkey

spunkymonkey phoenicis wannabe

nice :thumb:
    i will take a pic of my thrown together stuff later.
    nice to see the traditional mans screwfix catalogue loitering about :thumb:

cheers spunky

4. spunkymonkey

now thats cobbled together for you.....

[​IMG]

cheers spunky

5. coolamasta

Hahaha you win Spunky, mine almost looks neat compared to yours!! :p :p :thumb:

Are they the 'TOP' model 260's or normal ones?

6. spunkymonkey

if i remember right there the normal ones by asus,ive had them for sometime.
    cheers spunky

7. coolamasta

Ah yeah, good cards though, are yours OC'd mate? If so what speed core/shader etc you running?

8. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

install 191.07 driver and cpu use will go away (should)

them fans should they not be Pulling the air away from the heatsinks (the gpu fan will have to work harder)

nice PPD both of you

still cant get my stats to show unless mod as disable them of me for some reason as not had any response from that

9. spunkymonkey

its funny you should mention the fans matey,it crossed my mind last weekend whether i should blow air on them or suck air out.at the moment there blowing air on and with no problems what so ever.unfortunately i didnt get round to experimenting.
    cheers spunky

10. coolamasta

Good point on the fans Lee!

If it was me I would have the 120mm fan same way as now but right at the end where the power plugs are blowing air down towards the 260's fans or put it behind the 260s' but again blowing air between the cards.
    No point in having the fan the other way up blowing air up because all the hot air comes out the back.... my 2p anyway :D

11. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

The rule of thumb when setting a fan on top of some cards is to mimmick the way you would have the fan if it was mounted on a case side panel. If it was on a side panel I would always have it drawing cool air in from outside to provide the fans on the cards HSF with a constant supply of cool air. If you had it the other way around the fans on the HSF's and the additional 120mm would be opposing each other.

12. Pixelatedaddiction

Pixelatedaddiction What's a Dremel?

Looking good guys, Im throwing something together this weekend when my bits come from scan will post results soon. Ill be using a 120mm fan to cool like it that pic too will be interested to see results.