1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning My scratch build ideas "D.N.A.²"

Discussion in 'Modding' started by D-Mon Taurus, 28 Mar 2011.

1. D-Mon Taurus

D-Mon Taurus What's a Dremel?

Codename: D.N.A.²

Ok i have been having the idea of a scratch build for a year now and slowly it is coming to a design. After reading a lot of information about the materials i want to use and what you can do with them, these ideas sprung to mind. Lurking the forum has helped me to.

What is how are details of the build, as the idea is in my mind i am trying to visualize them by making simple sketchup layouts. that way i am seeing what i need to change in order to make the build perfect. For me its about the details that come together as one final build.

To tell a little about where i got the idea from. A solid block of aluminum.
    I am trying to make a build using aluminum and plexi without seeing a single screw on the out side of the case. And no use of puddy cause i am thinking of keeping the aluminum "raw like"

The ideas.
    Lock mechanism for side panels
    Option 1
    [​IMG]
    Option 2
    [​IMG]
    Backplate. still unfinished but the idea is there
    [​IMG]
    HDD cage
    [​IMG]
    Detail of frame assembly
    [​IMG]

That is for now. Hope to show you some more soon. TJ

Last edited: 11 Apr 2011
  2. cchr

cchr Minimodder

Love the fan grill man, looks like a dna string, you should also use the design somewhere that is more visible instead of just the backplate
    looking forward on seeing this under way

3. D-Mon Taurus

@CCHR It will be in some way be used in the case where it can be seen. Just don't know how yet. And thanks man i do my best to create what will be my first build.
    And its still in planning and designing so may take a little.

Here a small update.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mid plate only shows the shape, figuring our the design by playing with small scratched pieces to see if the idea in my head can be accomplished.
    As for HDD rack i am not sure yet which way to turn. probably forward due to screws

And i am open to options and ideas.

4. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

oh..........
    my...............
    god.................

i love it
    could you do me one small favor?
    on your logo on the back bump up the surfaces/sides on your arch tool and circle tool
    so they are smoother
    i still love it

5. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

going for a screw free exterior is a good challenge.
    maybe look at some of the 1 piece lian li / silverstone frames for some inspiration. you could make a main frame like that for your internals, then say a plexi 3 sided box with tabs for the bottom that slips over your main metal frame, then you could possibly use case feet as your locking mechanism. you wouldn't see 1 screw.

6. D-Mon Taurus

@disturbed. Thanks bro... And I could do yes but i haven't been working with sketchup a lot kinda taking baby steps. And it isn't helping the pc i am on is crap and getting way to slow when going for more detail. Already hard when the rack and back plate are on screen. But will give it a try.

@lysol. Well challenge is good, just hope not to big for a first time build ever lol :D
    I like your idea with the 3 side box plexi and no struts at the top. but i was going for top front back and bottom aluminum. Side panels will be alu and plexi window. there will be a box underneath for pumps PSU and some other stuff.

Slowly but surely the idea in my head is getting its form.

7. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

put them on different layers
    then you can turn them on and off when you need to see them
    or move around

8. D-Mon Taurus

thanks for the tip...

9. IvanIvanovich

certainly it's possible to do the same as i mentioned with aluminum instead. 5 90degree bends may be a bit challenging if you planned on doing the bending yourself, but doable if you take your time with it. alternately, if you used a little thicker aluminum you could make a 5 sided box, and make it so all of the screws tap into the metal from the inside. then with a small steel frame on the windowed side use a sheet of plexi for your window with strong magnets attached to it that would hold the steel frame to keep shut.

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

So, no relation to the manga/anime? :(
    I like the floating HD trays. I'm too wired to quite get how your panel locks work. How about a set of interior lugs with latches on the panel? -Can't SU the concept...In fact I'm here because SU is processing.

Part of your hang might be the HD model. If that's the one I think it is, it even has the interior modeled.
    Another option is to leave the details out for now, and add them in as a single part-per-file.

11. D-Mon Taurus

@lysol. Using thicker alu is possible but even with 2mm thick its easy to drill all the way through.
    I will be using the 2mm as the outer skin due to the way it is going to bend and if my calculations are correct will make nice close bends i want. I have been working on this for a year now an i think i have the right idea its just making it visual. So for process of cutting etc. and by making it visual i will most likely come across new problems that are then easier to over see then doing it all in the head.
    Thank you for your input it is not wasted for they are good ideas.

@cheapskate. No there is no relation to the manga or anime all though i do love reading and watching that.
    I will try and paint a picture for you on how i think it is going to work as a matter of fact i was going to try and and work that out. I hope at least. As said above its all in my head and there it seems to be working. The details are there just need to try and get them on paper or on screen in this case.
    As for the hanging of the processing in SU is due to to much detail. and i am trying to work around that as much as possible.

12. D-Mon Taurus

On a quick note
    Codename: D.N.A.²
    Full name: Dangerously Nasty Alien D.N.A.

13. D-Mon Taurus

My scratch build ideas "D.N.A.²" Lock picking

Ok the locking in play. Like said i do believe this should work

The push button. Kept gap slightly bigger for show and didn't use the tube with the nut. Thats only for finishing touch to cover up the cut of the hole in the alu. so not a necessity in this case.

[​IMG]

The other end. didn't include the spring (still working out how to make one in SU

[​IMG]

Cross section of the side panel lock bar hope this make sense to you.

[​IMG]

Used a 10x10mm for frame. Lock bar is a 15x15mm square tube with a 1mm wall thickness.
    Side panel will be plexi with alu bend around to make that small lock ledge

[​IMG]

Happy modding every one.:D

Last edited: 30 Mar 2011
  14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

So, a series of slide-hooks for the sides, and a spring-loaded pin to lock the sliding.
    That works.

15. D-Mon Taurus

That is basically what most manufacturers use. and i thought why not make my own :D
    Have to make sure its installed when constructing the frame and voila no screws :idea:
    If u was going to use a "L" profile for frames i would have had to use the tube and nut in order to make sure it stays in place.
    Hoping to have one side panel up to show of the hooks.

Ooh and you thinking its going to work gives me confidence.. thanks Cheapskate:thumb:

16. D-Mon Taurus

Okay here is the side panel. Again it is still in progress due to small changes in detail he more the case is progressing.

[​IMG]

And that little hook to lock it in place

[​IMG]

17. D-Mon Taurus

Mid plate tried to show what i am planning to do but in SU its a bit hard. (maybe i just don't know how to do it yet. but here it is.

[​IMG]

And something new i tried. (Even with this old thing of a computer)

[​IMG]

18. IvanIvanovich

that looks really nice after running it through indigo. after i get my build done i think i need to take some time out to learn how to use sketchup or similar properly so i can do those sorts of things.
    from looking at your designs above more, i am wondering where is the psu going?

19. D-Mon Taurus

Still thinking about that one.. thought of having it internally (the no screws option)
    Although the option of adding a lower compartment is more likely to happen

As for SU i am still a beginner, learning as i try

20. D-Mon Taurus

front USB power and reset button design. a work in progress.

[​IMG]

will be mounted on front face of case