1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice My Veloci's dying (honest) - SSD replacement advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blackshark, 4 Nov 2009.

1. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I have a BLACKOPS board running 8Gb of ram and a 9550, Win 7 64 bit Pro.

My main drive has been a velociraptor but I think it has seen better days. I am trying to convince myself that I can spend not too much money (£150?) and get a decent SSD replacement. Im not looking for the same amount of space - I have a 750Gb 2nd drive.

Can anyone offer me some advice on what SSD to look at?

Thanks Tim

Last edited: 5 Nov 2009
  2. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

I'd wholeheartedly recommend a 60GB OCZ vertex drive. It's well known as being the best of the OCZ drives and boasts an indilinx controller which as of yet hasnt been beaten in terms of performance. The indilinx SSD's are also being updated regularly which is posostive and the one i mentioned can be picked up for around £170, £20 over your budget but you can't get better for the money.

*edit* If your more budget concious the Agility drive runs off the same controller and has very similar read speeds.

3. Blackshark

Thanks Xonar. Budget isnt a problem - but I dont particulary want to start spending many hundreds of pounds.

I was wondering what you thought of the Crucial M225 drive (64Gb) that is due out with the same controller - seems to have similar specs and I understand a TRIM firmware is available now for it. Price is £125 at SCAN

Thanks again

4. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

I havent personally had experience with that drive but since it's based on the same controller and seems to show similar performance figures to the vertex it seems like a very capable drive, £125 seems like a fantastic price for something almost identical in spec and performance as the vertex. Might consider this drive for my laptop after previosuly having my heart set on an agility.

5. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Is 64GB enough for a x64 installation of 7 Pro, Office and a few other essential apps? This is my next planned upgrade.

6. Blackshark

Hmmm Pure - and now you have me wondering about buying two of them!

Been looking at raid reviews - not sure my humble southbridge can handle them - or at least not be a bottleneck. Still........

7. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

As budget doesn't seem to be a problem, then go for an Intel X25-M G2, have a couple of these in RAID0 and really are a great improvement from 2 x 150GB Velociraptors (in RAID0)...I use a RAID0 setup because at times I work with large (video) files and find a RAID0 volume deals better with them (copy/move) than a single HDD...
    ________
    Vaporizer information

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  8. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

My vertex at home is 60GB, i've got windows 7, office, and about 25-30 other programs (Nero, Web broswers, Overclocking tools, crysis warhead being the only game (all the others are on my F3) and i still have about 14GB left over so 60GB is a good size for a boot drive but if you fancy putting a few games on it your gonna have to make the jump to 120, games nowadays are Mahoosive.