1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor NAS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by drjaydee, 9 Oct 2011.

1. drjaydee

drjaydee What's a Dremel?

been looking into NAS devices recently, as its wasteful leaving my PC on 24/7 so that my housemates and i can have access to the files on it.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2011/10/08/qnap-ts-219p-ii-turbo-nas-review/1

read this review and it had me intrigued, some of the features on it seem excessive and not essential, e.g. bittorrent and itunes clients. was wondering on how easy/expensive it was to build one myself, or whether it's better to buy one pre-built.

any opinions would be greatly appreciated

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Take a look at something like freeNAS or unRAID as possibilities. unRAID comes with the bare minimum installed - while it is possible to install things like torrent clients and the like, you don't have to if you don't want to.

You could build your own file server with either using a dirt cheap (even second hand) low-power Atom board, a suitably sized case and a bunch of hard drives.

If power consumption is an issue, you can set the system to sleep if there's no disk or network activity and wake it up using WOL magic packets.

3. Jor1995dan

Jor1995dan Minimodder

IMO, it's probably better to build your own. All you have to do is get a cheap PC, and attach a few hard drives to it. An added couple of bonuses are that it's cheaper than the 'proper NAS' equivelant, and there's more scope for awesomeness building it yourself. There are guides such as

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2010/07/23/how-to-build-a-nas-box/1

and

http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2007/06/05/build_your_own_server/1

These go through setting up your own NAS and server, respectively. The server build is more comprehensive, but the NAS one will suffice if it's only the NAS one you want. I suggest you read both though, to see which one better suits your needs. Need any more help, give us a shout.

4. drjaydee

RAID is a pretty common topic in terms of storage on them, whats your opinions on those? the files will mostly be video and music files, not crucially important, but a pain if they have to be re-downloaded. what are the pros and cons of RAID? and would you personally recommend it?

5. drjaydee

i also have head about JBOD, i know it's kind of like RAID0, but does it increase the chance of failure?

6. Jor1995dan

Jor1995dan Minimodder

If you want to look into using RAID on it, then go with a more modern board which supports it. Then do some testing to see what you think of it and go from there. It's all down to you, and exactly what you want from it.

7. drjaydee

i would say that RAID was another extravagance, i'll make sure i keep all the .torrent files then if there's a catastrophic failure i can redownload pretty easily

8. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=217929

I have one of these myself. Brilliant piece of kit. Sharing is dead easy, and the torrent client works great. May be a lot more features than you need, but the price he wants is very good. And if you buy it, I wont be tempted any more! :hehe::hehe:

9. drjaydee

not got privilege's for the marketplace yet unfortunately, i'll have a look at it when the system refreshes

10. drjaydee

any outside links for it?

11. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

12. drjaydee

what they asking for it?

sorry to be going through you, but i can't get on the site until it does the update :/

13. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

Quote "Synology DS211J and 2 1TB WD Green Drives

The Nas has only been used for about 3 months, however the drives I believe are both out of warranty.
    Now for Sale

Synology DS211J --> £120 Posted
    1TB Drives --> £30 Each Posted

£170 for the lot posted , both drives raid up fine" Unquote

That's his post. His 'name' is Yorkie. You should be able to pm him if you search for him.

Last edited: 9 Oct 2011
  14. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

15. drjaydee

cheers man :)

16. drjaydee

17. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Last edited: 9 Oct 2011
  18. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I bought one recently - very pleased with it. The thread above is fantastic (I'm still referring back to it even now!)

Recommended indeed!

19. drjaydee

what exactly do you use it for?

20. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I use it as a media server to my PC and a HTPC - mp3s, videos, photos etc. Similar to what you want to use it for by the looks of things. Also I use it to store all my photos and documents on - I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to losing files so I'm using the HDD that came with it for the OS (WHS 2011) and then 2x2Tb HDDs in Raid 1. The server then backs itself up daily to an external HDD as well.

I found that over the years as I've swapped PCs etc I've ended up with copies of files on multiple hard drives and USB sticks - this allows them all to be centralised and backed up. All the PCs in the house can access all of the files on the server and also I can access all the files remotely over the internet as well.

I went with WHS 2011 for ease of setting it up and features like the remote access but FreeNAS looks like a good option too. Had WHS 2011 been more expensive (it cost me about £35 from CCL) then I would have gone for that I think and ran it off a memory stick - the proliant has an internal USB port on the motherboard which almost looks designed for that purpose... One of the other benefits with WHS is the add-ins - little applications for various things - I use one called Lights Out which hibernates the server automatically each night and wakes it again in the morning - it can also be set up to keep the server on whilst someone is accessing it and then hibernate the server when no-one is accessing it...

Any other questions then feel free to ask!