1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling NB heat sink removal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by THEkorean, 5 Aug 2006.

1. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

ok i have an AK89 Max mobo from aopen and the NB heatsink is glued on, the NB gets hot as hell and i need some way to cool it, is there any way i can cool this thing?

2. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

yah you can slap on an after market cooler. Look for a guide on removeing the HS off your board but in general it goes something like this.

Remove board.
    Buy razer blade ( old skool strait razer)
    GENTLY insert under HS.
    Make your way around chip.
    gently pull up on HS
    clean with Isoprofil

These are general i will not be resonsible for any thing you do to your board. so dont cry to me if you screw up your chip. Go SLOW and be very careful these heat sinks are afixed in a fairly permanente maner.

Last edited: 5 Aug 2006
  3. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

can anyone else recomend a safe way to remove the NB heatsink?

4. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

LVMike's way is the tried and tested method, the only thing I would add is to run a few benchmarks first to get the nb nice and hot. Makes it easier to pull off.

5. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

If its glue and not sticky pads then the freezer trick works nocely for making the glue brittle. :)

6. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

Sorry i sound a little harsh in my post. I didnt intend to sound that way. Running benches or spraying the NB with canned refregient will also help to soften or weaken the glue bond. when its time to remove the Heat SInk you need to be careful and pull strait Up dont rock back and forth, that can realy hurt the chip.

You may need to pull up and then re use the razor blade, and repeat that for a few times.

The biggest thing is to go slow and dont use a lot of force, its about coaxing the heast sink off not ripping it off.

7. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

The frezzer trick is to put the board in a large sealable anti-static bag then place it in the freezer for a few hours. You put it in an anti-static bag for two reassons, obviously to prevent static build up when handeling the board, and to prevent condensation form damaging the board as it chills.

You can also buy cans of spray on coolent, its used to coold the board or chips down when solder on or next to them, and its used for gum removal. If you cant find any just invert a couple o cans of canned air and spray that onto the Heat sink. one or two full cans that way and it should be easy to remove.

Tags: