1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Need a gripping game please!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by MiNiMaL_FuSS, 7 May 2010.

1. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

So, this year I've been so hooked on FM10 alot of other titles have passed me by.

I'm now sick to death of FM10, and needed something with a decent story so I played through ACII, which was pretty good, now I'm after a decent FPS to numb the current afterwork blues.

I played through Juarez2 - which wasn't bad, but not great.
    Tried the new wolfenstein - awful, took it back.
    The new AVP a tried at a friends - it just didn't grab me.
    Been playing L4D2 online - lacks the depth I'm after.

I havn't tried bioshock or Modern Warfare 2....are those my next port of call? I need Episode 3 dammit!

Suggestions?

2. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

An FPS with depth? :|

Just Cause 2 and Splinter Cell Conviction are both really good, but I wouldn't call them deep or FPS games.

3. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

I'd go for Bioshock & Bioshock 2, MW2 is a waste of time & money - unless you can get it for a tenner - there's only 4-6 hours of gameplay to be had.

I personally love the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games, but they're not everyone's cup of tea. Crysis Warhead is excellent too.

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

if you want deep then Dragon Age Origins.

5. DaveODeth

DaveODeth What's a Dremel?

Dead Space is pretty good on PC, turn up the sens setting to max though.

6. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

For something multiplayer that you can play again & again, try Bad Company 2 (on PC ofc).

I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned already. Although obviously it's not a story game, it's something to dig your teeth into.

Or Just Cause 2 if you're after something huge, or GTA IV if you've never played it before (it's really quite fun).

7. MiNiMaL_FuSS

Okay I'll settle for a shooter that you can get your teeth into! One of those games where you wanna keep playing and lose time, as I said AC2 was along those lines, but get's a little reptative.

I loved the first STALKER, but heard that clearsky is even more buggy...if those have been solved then (or at least made playable) then I'd give it a whirl.

Also I replayed the original crysis very recently, I'm all crysised out unless Warhead really bring anything new to the experience.

Honestly, seems to have passed me by, no knowledge of dead space at all, like the title though :thumb:

Bad Company 2 does look good, but looking more for a singleplayer experience right now. I'l give just cause 2 a look, there a review kicking around on here.

8. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

some old classics - No One Lives Forever, Deus Ex, Thief or System Shock.

Or some modern underdogs - Vampire: Bloodlines, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic or Serious Sam

Or some recent titles - Mirror's Edge, Borderlands or BioShock

Personally, of those and in my current mood, I'd suggest No One Lives Forever or Vampire: Bloodlines. Both can be had easily and cheaply.

Alternately, go to Good Old Games and choose the highest rated FPS that you don't already have for super-cheap.

9. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Dead Space (remember to turn off v-sync with this one) and Mirror's Edge are both worth playing, especially the latter. Mirror's Edge wasn't particularly deep, but the gameplay was really solid with a good learning curve that wasn't too difficult or too easy, and it was one of those games where I kept wanting to go back and play it until I completed it.

Bioshock is a hard one to recommend because people seem to either love it or loathe it. I really wanted to like it, but it never held my attention for long enough to finish it and I got bored about 3 hours in on several different attempts.

10. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

Just Cause 2 is a superb sandbox game, although the actual story missions are quite short. There's masses to do if you like randomly wandering about and shooting hordes of nameless mooks. The race challenges are lots of fun as well, especially the flying ones.

GTA4 is a excellent, meaty, mission based game, but it's a crappy shooter. Unfortunately, it's main problem is it's a jerky unoptimised mess. JC2 on the other hand is silky smooth.

11. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

If you've never experienced Bioshock - I'd recommend playing through that - particularly if you can get in on budget. It looks and feels a little dated now, but I'd definitely class that game as gripping.

IMO Crysis Warhead was average - I preferred the original, not a big fan of either and if you're in it for the story then just rent a B movie from the 50s. Looks spectacular and the action is pretty special, though.

I'm looking forward to playing BF:BC2, but I haven't yet, so couldn't recommend. I tried out MW2 multiplayer, I wasn't massively impressed.

Maybe I'm just hard to please...:D

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

fixed :D:thumb:

13. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I've only started playing Mirror's Edge tonight actually... and I love it.

Combat controls are a bit awkward, but everything else is lush!

Not deep at all... but addictive.

14. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

Play it without using any guns. It turns the game into an epic kung fu adventure. :clap:

IIRC you can deck people in one kick if you go into the attack from a wall run.

15. omicron

omicron Baud.

Mass Effect followed by Mass Effect 2 are the only options here.
    Simply amazing games.

16. MiNiMaL_FuSS

Mirror's Edge & BioShock both keep coming up, I actually got both in the steam crimbo sale and never even started them, so I'll have a go.

Vampire: Bloodlines was an excellent game, I played it when it came out as I'd loved the original also, I'd be quite tempted to go back and play this....any decent mods ever made? or any graphical bumps? Also is the ghost house as scary as I remember!

Now who hasn't played these already :eyebrow:

17. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

You say you played Call of Juarez 2 - I thought that was terrible compared to the first one. The first one is really cheap and it isn't a "made for consoles" game like CoJ 2.

18. MiNiMaL_FuSS

The first one definately had more to it, and alot more distinction between the playable charcters, hell and a more flowing story, seonc was ok though, nothing special.

19. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

I only managed two levels of Juarez 2, it was dire.

20. blinkieleblind

blinkieleblind Tings and such

i have to say i like the new titles cos they are shiny and new but there are oldschool games that i go back to and still love. Masters of Orion 2, Transport Tycoon Deluxe are two off the top of my head. hmmmm, some others.....

jedi knight:dark forces 2
    Total annihilation
    star craft
    carmageddon
    Dragon age origins
    any of the fm series
    any of the civ series
    silent hunter 3 and 4 (5 is a failure at the moment :sigh: )

the classics may have had less polish but they were effin great (still are) ;)