1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Advice on a Quiet & Cool Case / System

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gushy, 12 May 2008.

1. Gushy

Gushy Minimodder

Hey Guys,

I need some help. Due to a need to re-arrange I have to build a new PC to be my home server. The 'server' will sit in the corner of my dining room under a table so there is a need to it to be a quiet as possible (the sound of a 747 in the corner does not make for a pleasant dining experience!)

It also needs to be able to keep all the kit inside it cool, fortunately most of it is not new hardware so shouldn't run too hot.

In the system will be:
    • Pentium D 820 with a quiet / silent HSF (advice on the HSF also welcome)
    • Motherboard of some sort - not sure which one yet as I need to purchase (new or used). Preferably an nforce board with built in gfx.
    • If I can't get above with a built in gfx card then I will stick in something old like a silent geforce4 mx 440
    • 2 x Nova-T DVB cards
    • 1 x Sata Raid Card
    • 2 x 160Gb Sata Hdd
    • 4 x 500Gb Sata Hdd
    • 1 x IDE DVDRW

So with all that in mind, any ideas as to what case would be a good idea? Two I looked at are the Antec 900 and the Coolermaster Cosmos. Never seen either in the flesh though so I don't know what they are like.

2. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

3. Gushy

Gushy Minimodder

Thanks Hazardous. I don't know why I hadn't thought of that, I have a P182 for my pc, it's a great case (love the gun-metal grey). I shall have to turn off the rest of the kit in my study and see how quiet it is.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Dump the Pentium D and get yourself an AMD 4850e or BE-2340 and AMD 780G/Nvidia 8200 motherboard. Seriously seriously seriously!

5. Gushy

Gushy Minimodder

Yeah I was just reading that the Pentium D's run hot, not at all what I want. I only thought of them as I have 2 lying around.

AMD eh? I haven't had one of them in years, are they cool running these days?

6. Gushy

Gushy Minimodder

Are the AMD's a better option in terms of heat / power than the newer dual cores?

7. Gushy

Gushy Minimodder

Well the decision on the CPU is now made as I've just picked up a free E2140 from work.

8. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

You still hanging on to those Pentium D's?

9. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Antec Solo is another low-noise case if you want to save a bit. A drawback is that it won't take extra-long graphics cards, but not a problem with yours.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

A micro ATX Nvidia 7100 board will suit you too then :)