1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Need advice on sleeving for my next big project!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Unicorn, 20 Oct 2009.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I am starting a project sometime in the next couple of weeks which requires me to sleeve a power supply and all the other cables in the case either white or black. I don't want to give too much away about the mod now, because I'm going to be logging it and posting that here once I have a satisfactory amount of work done, but I am really lost about what to do for the sleeving. I love the Murdermod sleeving - it's the tightest weave I think I hav ever seen and would be perfect for the project but it's not available in either the colours I want or the size I want.

Problem with the size of the sleeving: I know a lot of you love sleeving the 24 pin ATX wires individually but to be honest that doesn't appeal to me. What I want to do is either sleeve the whole thing together up to the last couople of inches or sleeve the wires in groups of 4 up until the last couple of inches and finish those last couple of inches off with the individual sleeving.

Problem with the colour of the sleeving: The interior of the case (and you'll pretty much know the project from this description once you see it appear in the logs forum - I can guarantee that!) is going to be a certain colour of red. The exterior, white. The body of the PSU which is probably going to be an Antec Quattro 850 will be white. This is why I want to use white sleeving. It would look fantastic but I don't think white sleeving is going to be easy to find with such a tight weave as the murdermod sleeving or even in the right diameters to sleeve the cables in the case. The other thing that worries me is that even if I do find white sleeving to suit, that black connectors on white sleeved cables will look bad. Not 100% sure on this but the mod has to be perfect and I need to cover every detail.

My last worry is the shape of the sleeving: If I go for anything other than murdermod sleeving and try to sleeve my SATA cables with anything other than the flat braid that they provide, it will look terrible IMO.

This is why I am stuck. If I go for MM sleeving, I hav to sleeve the PSU a certain way. I really don't like the individually sleeved cables and think that they will look totally wrong in my build. If I go for a different brand of sleeving, I risk not getting the same quality and tightness of weave that you get with MM sleeving. Basically I want other options when sleeving with MM products. I know that it is the best product on the market, don't get me wrong, but there are issues that I have with it that at present prevent me from making a final decision on it.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

have you tried chilled pc, I think i got my braiding from there for my Penguin V 4.0 mod, very tight weave, but murdermod style 3.3mm i think.

They do have other sizes and the pricing is pretty good.

Cant comment for the quality of the other braiding but the stuff i used was top quality.

3. Unicorn

That's an excellent start, thanks mate! :thumb:

Any idea if it's the same as the stuff in the murdermod kits? I may mix & match a MM kit with other sleeving if they match of course.

4. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

I dont think they match but they definatly were a pretty tight weave, couldnt see any of the wire through it.

Glad I could help

5. ricickle

ricickle Reamer

Tom at Chilled pc has just got a load of custom weave stuff in almost every colour including mixed colours. great stuff and very tight weave

6. themcman1

themcman1 is now 110% win

The Chilled PC stuff and the MDPC-X stuff (which I think you're referring to by murdermod :eyebrow:) are pretty much the same - it comes down to personal opinion really.

The MDPC-X tubing braid will work for wrapping around all the ATX cable if that was what you wanted. I have 5m of it left over from my sleeve kit I got a while back - I can send you a metre or so if you like?

7. Unicorn

Thanks guys!

@ thecman1, the company that came before MDPC-X and provides the same sleeving is called MurderMod - www.murdermod.com and is run by the same guys. Thanks for your info on it being similar to the Chilled PC sleeving! :thumb:

EDIT: Just been on the MDPC-X website... they have a lot more colours etc in stock now than they had the last time i checked which was obviously a while ago!

Last edited: 15 Mar 2010
  8. Unicorn

This comes straight from the MDPC-X website -

It seems that they've thought of everything, and I am a complete douché. How on earth did I miss that?! I'm ordering a couple of packs today! :rock:

EDIT: By the way in case you hadn't already realized, I've decided to go for black sleeving on the cables in the case, and the PSU is going to be black as well. I realized that having 3 dominant colours on the interior would spoil the look of the case.