1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help finding a pink laptop for a gift.

Discussion in 'General' started by Abom, 19 Apr 2006.

1. Abom

Abom What's a Dremel?

I know its lame (not my choice) but my girlfriend needs a laptop for school and really wants a pink one. I'm buying it for her birthday but am having trouble finding one. I would just mod one to her liking but I reaaaaly need to keep an oem warranty and keep it as stock and reliable as possible. Not looking for a gaming machine here just a school computer (internet, windows xp, microsoft works, encarta ect...) Would also like a cd burner and need either built in or a pcima slot for wireless. If someone knows where to get one I would be very grateful (in USA btw)

2. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Some Dells have detachable screen covers, so you could buy a spare cover, paint it pink and attach that without voiding the warranty. However, it may only be on the more expensive models, I'm not sure. You could always buy a refurb (Dell Outlet they call it) one for much less if the newer models don't support swapable lids.

Good luck!

ch424

3. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I don't recall seeing any pink ones anywhere, but I bet there's a way to fabricate some kind of cover for the lid without modifying the actual laptop. That's all I can think of right now.

4. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

You'll pay out your ass for it, but Voodoo PC has an option to paint it pink.

5. ajack

ajack rox

A client a while back wanted a pink iBook so we basically ripped the cover off, scraped the white paint from the inside and sent it off to an airbrusher to paint it pink. Came out at <£100, so you may wanna try that approach.

6. K

K 528491

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

There is a Laptop in Fuchsia Pink (amongst six colours), but I'll have to look up the make...

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

RockDirect.com will sell you a pink laptop, pegasus Ti its in the UK though, they may do a few others I have not comprehensively looked at all there options.

9. McKaamos

McKaamos What's a Dremel?

http://www.ergo.co.uk/genesis/

http://www.exonome.com/fj/phkl/ <-- guess this one is not for sale :lol:

http://www.engadget.com/2005/01/07/x2-ladies-love-pink-laptops-with-matching-bags/ <-- now to find where to buy it...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/02/20/transmeta_powers_pearly_pink_pc/ <-- info on a transmeta CPU powered pink hello kitty laptop (prolly need to import one of those from japan) (update: http://www.sanrio.com/ is where it was being sold. there were only 500, and they are already all gone. ebay maybe?)

http://www.x2usa.com/v1/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=67&Itemid=71 <-- X2 Stylebook from the USA

Edit:
    I took a quick look at some toshiba laptops (wich are very good in my experience) and the Satellite P30 has a bordeau red cover.
    So if you can't get a pink one, maybe this is the next best thing?

Last edited: 20 Apr 2006
  10. Abom

Abom What's a Dremel?

Thanks for your help guys, ive run across a few of these myself but I'm running into pricing issues. I truly need a disposable laptop, she wouldnt know how to play a game on it even if she wanted to. I'm trying to stay around 1200 USD. The colorwarepc is about 300 above that for their cheapest one and the voodoo... umm I wish lol.

11. wilkyboy

wilkyboy What's a Dremel?

On the ColourwarePC site, you can get them to paint an iBook, white? What gives?

12. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Buy an iBook.

Strip the whole thing apart and vynil dye it.

13. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Tell her she'll probably end up paying too much for a pink laptop. Buy a decent laptop for a good price and pay a professional airbrusher to paint it pink. You'll end up saving a lot more money in the end.

edit: You could grab a pink clamshell iBook for quite cheap nowadays. :D

14. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

and you can get it to run OS X Tiger, and upgrade it to pretty fast, though you'd still be stuck to the fact that its a G3... but if she's using it for web browsing/aim/word, should be more than enough

15. Washfordmonkey

Washfordmonkey What's a Dremel?

would she mind having a mac or does it have to be windows.. i know with windows you have a lot of software which isnt transferable to mac.. but macs seem to be the cheapest solution....

16. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

I don't think anyone has EVER said that before.

Well done :D

17. alastor

alastor Minimodder

ebay linkage

Wouldnt expect the battery life to be great being a Sempron, but will be better than a Cellery-M. But has a CD burner and onboard WLAN, and not a bad paintjob :worried:

18. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Ever considered doing it yourself?

If you feel comfy about dismanetling a laptop, and you can get hold of some pink vinyl dye, it should be a relitivly easy task to undertake. Another bonus is the stuff dries within minutes of application, ready for the next coat.

19. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

:read:

he needs an OEM waranty

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll