1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help finishing computer!!! Anyone who knows please help!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by kimlo, 8 Oct 2008.

1. kimlo

kimlo What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, I've recently built my own computer co mpletely on my own (which im proud of :D)
    I'm not going to got through specs atm, but it's a very good gaming computer and I've been using it for over one month now and gosh it's awsome.

One thing I couldn't do when ubilding it was front panel audio and usb I had absoultely no idea so i said stuff it, but now I really just wanna install them so my computer feels complete.

What i have done here is basically opened my case grabbed the front panel usb cables (theres 2 parts to that one) and front panel audio cable and wrote down the name for each pin, then I have screenshots of motherboad manual telling which goes where, but the names do not match so i don't have an idea, but I'm assuming smart guys on this forum will know what names mean what and where they match up.

Here's the stuff below!

Front panel audio / usb

AUDI-------------------USB (this one is the two 4 pins and one single pin)----------USB (this one has 7 seperate pins)

Mic -----------------------------(1)+5V------------------------------------------------GROUND
    Mic bias-------------------------(1)-D--------------------------------------------------TPA+
    Aud Gnd-------------------------(1)+D ------------------------------------------------TPB+
    FPOUT-R------------------------(1)GROUND---------------------------------------------+12V
    FPOUT-L------------------------(2)+5V-------------------------------------------------TPA-
    RET-L---------------------------(2)D ------------------------------------------------TPB-
    RET-R---------------------------(2)+D-------------------------------------------------GROUND
    ---------------------------------(2)GROUND
    ---------------------------------GROUND (Single pin)

(1) = circle with one in it infront of writing on the 4 pin connenctor
    (2) = ^ as above with 2 instead

MOTHERBOARD MANUAL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i would HUGELY appreicate if someone could basically tell me this pin in instructions matches this pin on the name of cables in your case.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2008
  2. kimlo

kimlo What's a Dremel?

Need help finishing computer!!! Anyone who knows please help!!!!!

Last edited: 9 Oct 2008
  3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

well FPOUT to me is front panel output, so the jack for headphones.

So FPOUT-R should connect to the line out on the motherboard header (LINE OUT (R)) (PIN 5) as the R stands for right channel. I guess you can work out the same for the L (left channel) (PIN 9)
    Aud Gnd needs to go to GND (pin 2)

that will give you audio out i believe

as for the mic i believe Mic bias is (PIN 1) and Mic is (PIN 3)

As for the USB i need what is written on the pin connectors in order to help you. It really isn't that difficult.

4. kimlo

kimlo What's a Dremel?

Cheers for the help mate, I've put dashes to make it more readable, that is exactly what is written on the pins.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

What case are you using?

6. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I don’t understand what the problem is, the firewire and usb connectors are labeled, so just plug them in. they only go one way. Audio is slightly different because you have an option for HD or ac'97. just check the manual for the case to see what connector to plug in.

7. kimlo

kimlo What's a Dremel?

I'm using case XG Dragon.

For the power one, firewire one, There is 7 pins, yet mobo has 9 which needs to be plugged.
    There is 3 grounds my case has 2 and there is two +12v my mobo has one, how do i know which 12 v pin i dont plug, and which GND pin i dont plug?

also, on the 2nd usb one, there is NC, what is NC? Is NC, just the separate ground pin?
    if so all i need to know is what these stand for in relation to my case.

If those could be answered, I'd be sweet for USB front ports.

Then all I need to know is this for front panel audio, basically what my case pins = in relation to the names on mother board manual.

my case =

Mo mobo has 7.1 surround sound, so I'm assuming i use the HD option???????

If so all i need to know is what these means in relation to my case and motherboard manual.
    my case = as below ----------------------------------------------- mobo names = as below
    Mic----------------------------------------------------------------- MIC2_L
    Mic bias------------------------------------------------------------- GND
    Aud Gnd--------------------------------------------------------------MIC2_R
    FPOUT-R--------------------------------------------------------- | -ACZ_DET
    FPOUT-L------------------------------------------------------------ LINE2_R
    RET-L---------------------------------------------------------------- GND
    RET-R-----------------------------------------------------------------FAUDIO_JD
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------LINE_2L
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------GND

So basically ^^^^^ Which ones equal which? and which pins do i not worry about.

you know, I assume mic = MIC2_R (pin3) and Mic Bias = MIC2_L (pin1)and Aud Gnd = GND (pin2)
    then FPOUT-R = Line2_R (pin5) and FPOUT-L = LINE_2L(pin9), would that be right?
    and wtf is ret-l and ret-r?

I hope someone can help!

Last edited: 8 Oct 2008
  8. kimlo

kimlo What's a Dremel?

I'm using case XG Dragon.

For the power one, firewire one, There is 7 pins, yet mobo has 9 which needs to be plugged.
    There is 3 grounds my case has 2 and there is two +12v my mobo has one, how do i know which 12 v pin i dont plug, and which GND pin i dont plug?

also, on the 2nd usb one, there is NC, what is NC? Is NC, just the separate ground pin?
    if so all i need to know is what these stand for in relation to my case.

If those could be answered, I'd be sweet for USB front ports.

Then all I need to know is this for front panel audio, basically what my case pins = in relation to the names on mother board manual.

my case =

Mo mobo has 7.1 surround sound, so I'm assuming i use the HD option???????

If so all i need to know is what these means in relation to my case and motherboard manual.
    my case = as below ----------------------------------------------- mobo names = as below
    Mic----------------------------------------------------------------- MIC2_L
    Mic bias------------------------------------------------------------- GND
    Aud Gnd--------------------------------------------------------------MIC2_R
    FPOUT-R--------------------------------------------------------- | -ACZ_DET
    FPOUT-L------------------------------------------------------------ LINE2_R
    RET-L---------------------------------------------------------------- GND
    RET-R-----------------------------------------------------------------FAUDIO_JD
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------LINE_2L
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------GND

So basically ^^^^^ Which ones equal which? and which pins do i not worry about.

you know, I assume mic = MIC2_R (pin3) and Mic Bias = MIC2_L (pin1)and Aud Gnd = GND (pin2)
    then FPOUT-R = Line2_R (pin5) and FPOUT-L = LINE_2L(pin9), would that be right?
    and wtf is ret-l and ret-r?

I hope someone can help!

9. Krikkit

NC is not connected.

Are the connectors simply plugs? Or are they a big bunch of unsorted wires, each with a single connector?

If they're plugs, just plug them into the header on your motherboard, it'll only fit on one way. It's almost foolproof. :)

10. Nuffenburger

Nuffenburger The Burgerman Can

fpout-r would be mic2_r, fpout -l would be mic2-l. thats simple. lol
    gnd would be gnd rofl iunno

11. kimlo

kimlo What's a Dremel?

lol @ burger..... fpout-r = line2R i wantto know now wtf is ret-l and ret-r

12. kimlo

kimlo What's a Dremel?

There all like seperate ones. I've sorted out the usb one, I just need to know two more things.
    What is ret-r / ret-l, can i just ignore them?
    and for firewire, I dont have the third ground or 2nd +12v, so can i just skip pin 8/9 and 10?

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

this is a reason i dont buy cheap cases, because of this hassle.

ret is also a WTF here aswell, not got a clue.

14. kimlo

kimlo What's a Dremel?

lol, it's a $180 awesome case not cheap :p

15. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

ah, now I understand why you cant just plug them in.
    I've never seen a case that has the usb connectors all seperate. and if the label on the individual plugs dont match with that is in the book then it would be a nightmare. Why they would do it like that... Anyway, sorry for not understanding what the problem was.

16. kimlo

kimlo What's a Dremel?

no, usb is in two blocks of 4 and one seperate, firewire is all seperate and sound.

17. Krikkit

Please don't make duplicate threads.

18. kimlo

kimlo What's a Dremel?

Ok guys, I tried my luck, USBs are now working (THANK GOD) firewire I assume is working but i can't test it out, but sound is not working.

When i unplug speakers from back and put to front and plug in it says no sound output device installed? it says that as soon as i unplug from back, and when i plug in front it stays there.
    Does this mean it simply didn't go correctly?

MIC = PIN1 MIC2_L
    GOUNRD = PIN2 GROUND
    MIC BIAS = PIN3 MIC2_R =!!!AUDIO!!!
    FPOUT_R = pin5 Line Out R
    FPOUT_L = pin9 Line Out L.

5 get connected, no ret-r or ret-l

^^^^ That's exactly what i did for sound, solutions anyone?

and btw, I'm following ac 97 sound, i have two ports in front one for mic and one for speakers, so is it correct to use the ac 97 layout?