Notebooks need help picking laptop and now new pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by No.1 ND Student, 27 Jul 2005.

1. No.1 ND Student

No.1 ND Student Banned

i could use a little help, i'm looking to pay around £1000-£1500 i want the ultimate laptop for my money if there is such a thing. i want powerful graphics lots of ram and a good cpu. more hdd is extra 40gb will do maybe a little higher,it also needs to be small and upgradeable for future and also dvd/rw.please please help i will look at any option and any that you think will be worth buying thanks

Last edited: 27 Jul 2005
  2. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

your always going to be limited to what you can upgrade with a laptop. and your not going to find a small laptop with powerful graphics i'm afraid, you need to decide whats more important.

As for the hdd space, yeah don't worry about that it's fairly cheap to add an extra hdd via usb later.

3. No.1 ND Student

No.1 ND Student Banned

well ok size doesnt matter but the graphics does so any suggestions? laptop wise

4. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Id recomend a Sony. I got 2 sonys (see sig). 1 for me which is powerful enough to play games like Battlefield Vietnam and Half Life 2. The other is as powerful but no VGA for gaming and is alot smaller and thiner.

You want to play games its gonna be a bit chunky for the fans inside to cool the sucker down. all the very thin and light laptops have onbaod VGA and no graphics like NVIDIA or ATI dedicated VGA cards.

There is not much options in upgrading a laptop and I recon its just worth buying a new one than upgrading. Laptops are desighned as throw away computers, ie when they get old you chuck it and get a new one.

you can usually ony upgrade the hard disk, memory, DVD drive on some and even the VGA now. not including add on cards like PCMIA sound cards and modems etc.

The thing is the expensive of laptop components, they are extremly expensive and overprised compared to desktop components.

Also if you decide on which model then i suggest looking on ebay at the online traders as there alot of good deals there. I bought my A217M at christmas on ebay for £500 less than it was selling in the shops and this item was new with all warenty etc just like buying from any online retailer. Deal was so good I bought the wifes Sony Laptop from the same trader a few months back and got her FS laptop £200 cheaper than the cheapest online retailer I could find. Its worth looking into.a word of caution you have to be careful in who you pick as there alot out there ripping you off or selling you stolen goods. My 2 Laptops were 100% legal and registered with Sony when I got them so they are Perfect. :)

Id recomend looking at the Sony A417S

[Intel 760 Pentium M] [17" X-Black Screen] [ATI X600 256MB VGA] [100GB Hard disk] [1024MB Ram DDR2] [Dual Layer DVD Writer] [Wireless/Bluetooth] [1GB Lan]

and I think its even has a TV card built into the docking station with lots of other great bits. :)

5. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Start with this then upgrade the ram to 2x512MB and the graphics to the GeForce 6800 -- just under £1500 with £70 off offer, but tomorrow there should be a new deal for free double RAM or something like that, which will bring it down a fair amount -- and you get a printer that you could sell to a friend to bring the cost down.

ch424

6. No.1 ND Student

No.1 ND Student Banned

thanks for all input i was gonna go for that dell but i dont want a pentium i would like amd but the spec is quite good. im also gonna look at the sony now

7. mikeuk2004

The dell one ch424 suggested would cost £2,234 for a simular spec there of the Sony A417S. The sony is listed at £1,799 on there site from Sony but I have seen around £1,500 else where.

But still for the spec and from Sony themselves at £1,799 is cheaper than the dell and you get a docking station and speakers etc and Sony's look cool. :)

Try and find link of where i seen it at £1500

8. mikeuk2004

Seen it on saverstore for £1605

http://www.savastore.com/productinf...me=Savastore&product_id=10282047&pid=45&tid=2

oh sony laptops are beautiful, they know how to make stylise pieces of kit.

I myself am a AMD fan and always have been but when coming to a laptop and with sonys quality and looks it had to be a Intel as they dont do AMD :( but I keep sending surveys to them saying that if they did AMD it would sell more :p

9. No.1 ND Student

No.1 ND Student Banned

wow that sony one is what i want actualy its all there but the amd but then again no one gets everything. i think youve persuaded me but now i want another pc here are my speks tell me what you think
    cpu
    amd a64 3200 skt 939 £120
    agp
    inno 3d nvidia 78oogtx 256 pci-ex £350
    hdd
    250gb 7200rpm 16mb cache maxtor £87
    sound
    creative sb audigy 2 zs 7.1 £47
    mobo
    msi k8n diamond nforce4 sli pci ex 939 £129
    optical
    dvd16+/- liteon dual layer£37
    ram
    corsair 2x1gb xms2 ddr2 s400 £120

there is more i need that i need to decide on getting yet but what do you think. graphics wise which would be better the 7800 or 2 6800le leadtek?
    advice will be noted btw i'm going to get that laptop on my birthday on saturday but im going to currys to get it i think its £1700 thanks all

10. mikeuk2004

if it is AMD 64 your going for then your not able to buy DDR2 memory. AMD 64 does not support DDR2 so there is no motherboard for AMD64 that has DDR2 sockets.

Just thought id mention it incase you spent the money and relised when its all too lote.

Im sure im right on that unless someone can correct me :) as far as I know AMD 64 and DDR2 is a no no. :p

11. No.1 ND Student

No.1 ND Student Banned

so which alternative for the same money can be brought? thanks for that btw good job i aint brought it yet

12. No.1 ND Student

No.1 ND Student Banned