1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Need help trying to resolve why this laptop is unable to install a app

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by LightingBird, 28 Jun 2011.

1. LightingBird

LightingBird Minimodder

Hey all, I have a odd problem.

I have a user that is trying to install a program called easy tether on their machine. Every attempt gets about half way through the installation and then it gives the error of "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable."

It will point back to the same installation folder in which the installation file is clearly located but no matter how many times I retry, it will not get past this error.

The user is on 32 bit windows 7 which is their personal machine(non work) and here is all that I have tried so far:

1. Verified the correct version of software was being used and re-downloaded it several times.
    2. Attempted to install in safe mode but the installer wizard is no longer available in windows 7.
    3. Attempted a clean boot and failed.
    4. Ran some malware virus scans in safe mode with no luck.
    5. Verified windows installer was running and restarted it with no success.
    6. Disabled his windows firewall and Comodo firewall completely with no luck.
    7. Tried to install as admin but there is no admin account setup on the users laptop.
    7. I attempted to install the package on my machine, which is also windows 7 and it worked with no problems.

Any ideas? I'm lost.

2. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

Do they have an environment variable that points to a mapped network drive or a network path that no longer exists?

3. LightingBird

LightingBird Minimodder

As I stated in my initial post, the installation is point back to the same folder that the file is located in.

4. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

why do you even need to do this ?

a laptop can connect to an android device and use tether by default there is NO NEED to use usb tethering

i could understand if it was a desktop with no wireless and you needed a tethering option.

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

there should be at least 1 admin account on the computer, usually the first user setup is the admin.

did you right click the app, and tell to run as administrator? did it ask for a username and password? if so how many user accounts are on the machine?

check the current user profile is administrator if not log into the users account that has admin rights.

6. LightingBird

LightingBird Minimodder

I'm actually going to look more into the admin account. I'll post back when I see what happens. As stated in my first post, But I didn't try to log in as admin and try it.