1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help With Dreaded SCSI!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Idioteque, 22 Jan 2006.

1. Idioteque

Idioteque Telephasic Mongoose

Urgh... having trouble with jumper settings on my SCSI drive cage...

Annoyingly the 18Gig hard drives i have are jumperless and need to be set up using the hot swap drive cage's jumpers... only problem is there was no documentaion with it. Google brings up no info on the part number.

Hopefully some of you have dabbled in SCSI before... and are willing to help me. Anyway I'll post the basic layout here... forgive my FUBARed ASCII skills.

30 29
    AUD[. .]OFF
    RMT[. .]ST
    DLY[. .]ST
    8 [. .]
    4 [. .]I
    2 [. .]D
    0 [. .]1
    8 [. .]
    4 [. .]I
    2 [. .]D
    0 [. .]2
    8 [. .]
    4 [. .]I
    2 [. .]D
    0 [. .]3
    ``2 1

hopefully someone here can interpret that... please get back to me soon... my new server depends on it.

Last edited: 22 Jan 2006
  2. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

Ive not used a proper backplate before, but the jumpers are similar to the 80>68pin adaptor I use.
    The ID is set for each drive by the 4 ID jumpers:

8 [. .]
    4 [. .]I
    2 [. .]D
    0 [. .]1

...for drive 1. The jumpers set a binary number from 0 to 15 for the ID. On mine a jumper gives a binary 1, and leaving it open is 0. So leaving them all off gives ID0, jumpers next to 2 & 4 gives ID6 etc.

AUD[. .]OFF
    RMT[. .]ST
    DLY[. .]ST

Not sure what they do, DLY is probably spin-up delay, which delays the drives turning their motors on at boot-up to save stressing the PSU.

3. Idioteque

I'll just go check that out... you're right about the delay jumper though. AUD OFF turns the fan alarm off... and no idea about rmt

edit: working... although for the array to detect the two jumperless drives a hard drive with jumper settings needs to be installe.d.. but freezes when performing a parity chekc on it... so needs to be removed before that. any ideas?

Last edited: 22 Jan 2006
  4. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

Not quite sure I follow, what type of drive and how many are you using?

5. Idioteque

I'm using 2 fujitsu 80 pin 9.1GB 7200rpm drives (jumperless) and 1 Seagate 80 pin 9.1GB 10k rpm drive using ID1 on its own set of jumpers.

Also in the SCSI set up utlity it doesn't even detect them properly. saying they all have a capacity of 0mb

6. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

Have the jumperless drives got unique ID's set on the backplane? Is the controller set to a bus speed (frequency) the drives support? Is the backplane terminated? Any more devices on the SCSI cable apart from the backplane? Only things I can think of atm :)

7. Idioteque

I made sure they have unique ids of 2 and 3, with the jumpered drive set to 1.
    the host adapter is set to 20mbps which the drives support. how is the backplane terminated? I haven't read up on this. And last of all there are no more devices on the scsi cable.

8. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

Have you tried changing the order of the drives? (eg if both jumperless drives are after the first, trying moving them in front, or vice versa)

If you know the make/model of your drive cage you could look up on the net whether it's terminated or not. Failing that, just take a good look at the thing. Running along the connection 'chain' (ie after the last drive) there may be a block of plastic that actually says 'terminator' (or similar, or nothing) on it.
    My guess would be it is terminated.

On the other hand, you've mentioned the backplane, the cage and the cable.
    Does the backplane actually have individual connections for each drive, with the cable 'daisy-chaining' through each, or just one and the chain is continued through the backplane?
    If there's just one cable hookup and there are free connections further along the cable than the connector you're using to hook up the backplane/cage, try using the last connector on the cable instead.

Also, in the case of that second scenario, check that the cable itself isn't terminated. If so, maybe try a cable without termination (assuming termination is present on the backplane/cage).