1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding need help with lcd screen

Discussion in 'Modding' started by BobbyMParr, 15 Jan 2007.

1. BobbyMParr

BobbyMParr GameDemon

i have a lcd screen from a all in one gateway pc i want to take it and put it into my pc side panel (if it works it might not) has anyone done that do you know how? anyone have any ideas on how to make it work?

2. BobbyMParr

BobbyMParr GameDemon

3. wsurritte

wsurritte What's a Dremel?

does the (gateway)computer itself work? if nothing else, you could VNC it.

4. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

Without the controller your LCD is going to be worthless. The display itself probably takes a 24 bit LVDS input judging from the amount of wires going to the panel. (I have a little bit of experience with LVDS as I replaced the LCD in a toshiba laptop with one from a dell by completly rewiring and making my own interface cable)

I am going to tell you that interfacing that LCD with anything short of what it was originally hooked to will be impossible without having the controller. This is because of how difficult it would be to get it going. Though you could probably source a busted panel using the same LCD as you have and snag its controller.

5. BobbyMParr

BobbyMParr GameDemon

vnc?? and no it did boot up i think but nothing came up on the screen so the screen may be out i just wanted a wanted a way to test it i have a old laptop i can use the screen off of as long as the laptop will still run with a monitor hooked up

6. BobbyMParr

BobbyMParr GameDemon

anyway without the controller to check and see if the screen even works?

7. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

About the only way to see if an LCD itself works without the controller would be to first power on the backlight. The entire screen should now be white. Next apply the +3.3v Drive voltage to the LCD's input. This will cause the LCD to display the defualt color of black on every pixel. Note be sure to lookup the pinouts to your lcd to find which pins are +3.3v. You will also want to tie the logic enable to +3.3v as well if it has one.

8. BobbyMParr

BobbyMParr GameDemon

thats helpful but can you explain more on about what im doing here lol like what colors/pins/ and all that thanks