1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Need help with lens choices (Both brands)

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by okenobi, 31 Aug 2012.

1. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

As a total SLR noob and having very little idea about the technical aspects of photography, yesterday I had my hands on a D200, D300, D7000, 60D and a 7D. My intended application, initially at least, is action/sports and later this year skiing/boarding in Italy for the season.

With that in mind, I was concerned with build/weather sealing and burst/buffer size, as well as just IQ. FX is of no interest at the moment (pending the D600 and that'll probably be too expensive anyway). And it seems to me that IQ is more-or-less the same between 5100 and 7000 and probably 7D and even 650D these days.

So really, if I go for the top small-sensor bodies, I'm paying for extra features I don't yet appreciate, speed and durability. Agree or disagree at this point (please :D), but that's how I see it currently.

Having handled the D7000 and 7D in more detail, I like both and hilariously there doesn't appear to be much of a difference in terms of ergonomics and control. Unlike the older Nikons, the D7000 looks a lot more Canonesque.

Anyway, I think ultimately price will be my deciding factor as either camera basically does what I want. I'm a little concerned about the buffer on the D7000, but I would have to learn to get over that if it was really WAY cheaper. It also offers other advantages.

So assuming it's price, lenses are a big factor. I'm thinking I want no more than three ideally:
    1) Telezoom with VR/IS
    2) Prime f1.8 (ish) at 35/40/50
    3) Possibly an ultrawide zoom for landscapes and creative stuff.

Is there an advantage in terms of optical quality/price ratio for either brand?
    I notice that Canon do an L 70-200 in f4 at half the weight and price of the 2.8 and that appeals. Nikon have nothing in that regard. But it also seems that Nikon's 70-300 VR is legendarily good for a cheaper lens and the Canon equivalent is not.

What say you, oh wise forumites?

2. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

What sort of action/sports?

I do some motorsport stuff and its amazing what you can do without vr/is on your telephoto!

3. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I am a Nikon fanboy because that's what I own so I can't comment on the Canon gear.

If you're planning on snowboarding with your camera you're going to want smaller lighter lenses and unless you really want the extra focal length the 55-200 is a brilliant mini lens, that could be taken around the mountain as I have done in the past. However as you say the 70-300 is an amazing lens (I would like to upgrade to at some point) but I don't have alot of experience. The small lens would allow a smaller safer bag though.

On a D7000 because of crop the 35mm works out the same as a 50mm on a full frame, because of that I would always suggest a 35mm 1.8 on a smaller body as it is a brilliant lens for parties etc. Someone is selling one on here. The 50mm works out at about 80mm and therefore would be better for snowboarding shots as you have a bit of extra depth but not so useful for close shots (which you don't really want to be doing on the mountain).

If you're planning on hitting the slopes with your camera I would also advice taking a polarizing filter with you to block out some of those rays that bounce EVERYWHERE.

From that list you're missing a general usage lens, like a 18-105mm 3.5. Which I would advice gettings, avoid the 18-55 because although it is a good lens its not very convenient. The 18-200 lens's are supposed to be a bit soft at either end of its range so I avoid one of those unless you really don't want to change lens.

I can't comment on the ultrawide lens's not having used one.

Don't forget to get yourself a tripod of some sort, I have a gorillapod SLR with a tripod head on it and I'd advice getting something like this as it makes a big difference, and that one can fit inside a camera bag when you're on the mountain. They're not a replacement for a normal tripod in 90% of situations, but good fun on a mountainside.

At the end of the day the key thing to consider is how much you want to carry with you when you're out and about. The more gear you take the less you want to take it.

4. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Skiing in the winter, but I have a couple of friends who do 2 stroke trials (who are likely to be my practice subjects before I ship out for winter) and I happen to like cars rather a lot. But to be honest, anything that moves is of interest to me :)

I figured I'd rather buy once than slowly upgrade and loose money. So VR/IS is the way forward as far as I'm concerned as everything will be hand held most likely. Tripods take too long and they're too much to carry.

Thanks Lance. I'm not bothered about a general use lens because with a 35-50 prime I can just use my legs and the optics will be way better. Plus, a fair bit of the range will be duplicated by the telezoom. I do have a Gorillapod for my compact though, so will probably get one again for convenience and long exposures (which I quite enjoy).

5. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

70-200 f2.8 VR/IS II either of those form canon or nikon are both equally as good so if you have the budget you wont go wrong with those and they will do you for alot of things.

1.8s again nikons 50mm is if I hear right better then canons 50 1.8 both are peanuts compared to the big 70-200.

6. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

I have a 7D with a 10-22mm wide angle.
    I rent a long zoom if I'm shooting birds of car races.

To M D K, Nikon's 50mm 1.8 is double the price of Canon's and definitely not double the quality :p
    So its a perfect start up lens. If you're a noob in photography a 18-135 kit plus the 50/1.8 will give you two years of exploring just about anything in terms of photography.

You're right though, there is almost no difference between what brand you choose.

7. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Ok, so are we saying that lens choice is irrelevant and the cost of similar lenses for what I want will be roughly the same whether I go Nikon or Canon?

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

pretty much. both camps have very similarly priced lens of similar feature. there really isn't much difference between the to systems.

the main difference between Canon and Nikon, i find, is that Canon does video miles better than Nikon.

if video is not your concern, i think Nikon is actually a better choice. their lenses feels better built, especially on crop sensor ones. i find you need to go for Canon L lenses to get good built quality. eg. the 18-200mm Nikkor even feels better than Canon 24-105mm L lens, feels more solid, better constructed and better zoom wheel. (almost similar price, mind you)