1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Need Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Laosa, 3 Jan 2006.

1. Laosa

Laosa What's a Dremel?

This sucks. I have two computers. One is an XP and already had an ethernet cable. The other is too slow for XP so it has 98. I installed a an ethernet jack/card in the 98 computer. I got a router and two ethernet cables. I have tried the network setup wizzard on both of them. They seem to be having trouble talking to eachother. Please Help Me! :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh:

2. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

What do you want them to communicate for? File transfer? Printer sharing? Do they both currently have internet access?

3. ZincteK

ZincteK Minimodder

make sure both network leads you have are not crossover! also make sure both ips on the system are set to auto.
    uhh also make sure if u are sharing files u have files shared also.

4. Laosa

Laosa What's a Dremel?

sorry about the late reply. I only can get on the internet before noon. Parental rules. I need them to share files and a printer.

5. seebul

seebul Minimodder

well dont mean to be rude but, you haven't exactly told us much, what is actually happening???
    What do you mean by there not talking properly?

6. Laosa

Laosa What's a Dremel?

It's kind of personal. I would tell you,but I need to keep it to myself. Anyways, I still need help on the networking. Oh, I also want to share an interenet connection.

7. Glider

Glider /dev/null

He was talking about the networking...

What do you mean with the 2 pc's not talking properly? Can they ping eachother? Is filesharing the problem?

8. seebul

seebul Minimodder

:eyebrow: :duh:

9. Laosa

Laosa What's a Dremel?

sorry, people have been on my back lately. I thought you were talking about something else. Anyways,When i try to print through the network from the other computer(98)but the printer doesn't show up. WhenI go to the shared file folder, I don't see any files that I tried to transfer through the network. I can't get the internet on one.

10. Laosa

Laosa What's a Dremel?

sorry guys,I gotta go.Continue this tomorrow. You can write, but I won't be able to answer until tomorrow morning.

11. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

You may want to call tech support for your router and have them walk you through everything. OR you can contact a local system builder or go to Best Buy or Circuit City and pay for in-home installation. Sure it's gonna cost you, but to be honest, I foresee it's going to be a looooong time before someone here understands the situation enough to help.

12. seebul

seebul Minimodder

Yeh, what he said.

13. Hepath

Hepath Minimodder

Aggh! He started a new thread on the same subject :duh:

Ok - this is written direct from memory and to be honest was done over a year ago! If some other people want to correct me *please* do! Especially as I did it through a X-Over cable!

Ok, so we have a winXP machine using a non-crossover patch cable into a router, the second machine is running Win98 and also has a patch cable into the router.

#1. I dont believe the WinXP network wizards will work. It certainly doesn't for Win2k and that share's a hell of a lot more in common with XP than 98.

So...

1. on the XP machine: findout the assigned IP address and the subnet mask.
    2. on the Win98 machine: findout the assigned IP address and the subnet
    3. Ensure that the subnet masks are the same (e.g. 255.255.255.0);
    4. Ensure that the IP addresses on machine only differ by the last number...
    5. Ensure that BOTH machines are in the same workgroup too!

e.g. XP machine: 192.168.0.1
    Win98 machine 192.168.0.10

Now.... TURN OFF WINDOWS FIREWALL!! ESP IF RUNNING SP2 on the XP box.

Reboot both machines and try pinging from the command prompt from both machines (e.g. using the example IP addresses above: on the XP box type "ping 192.168.10" )

if you can ping then you are 1/2 way there...

So...
    try enabling printer and file sharing on both computers ... but remember the fact you do this does not mean people will be allowed to unless you allow them to: that means that you have to change security settings on the folders ... Personally for a home network where security is not a problem I would just right click on the C:\ of both machines and add EVERYONE with FULL CONTROL.... No way would I do this in the real world - but we're just trying to get it working

14. Laosa

Laosa What's a Dremel?

ok i'll try that

Tags: