1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Need More Speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by okenobi, 21 Jun 2015.

1. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

My housemate runs Windows 7 on the following:
    C2Q 8400
    8gig
    Samsung EVO 840 120gig

He has a bunch of storage HDDs attached and uses uTorrent heavily. He says the system is becoming slow with browsing, general Windows usage, but especially when uTorrent is running (he does A LOT of seeding - over fibre). The HDD where he currently has his main download directory is from 2009 and is making noises like it might be struggling.

I'm wondering how much difference a cheap upgrade will make. Any ideas?

I'm wondering if the following individual changes would make a difference:
    1) Replacing the ancient HDD?
    2) Clean Windows install?
    3) Moving to DDR3?
    4) Moving to SATA III for both his SSD and a potential new HDD?

Looking at benches, a C2Q 8400 would be beaten by a current Pentium, but not by loads and he'd lose 2 cores. That said, he doesn't game or work. It's a glorified media box with a browser basically.

Would love your thoughts, as even a cheap CPU, RAM, mobo, HDD combo will run £250. Thanks.

2. silk186

silk186 Derp

Replace a his HDD with one or two new HDD. I recently bought two 3tb Toshiba drives. If the SSD is sata 3 it could benefit from sata 3.if not it won't. RAM speed is unimportant. Clean windows install could help as well. Overclock if he hasn't already