1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need opinion on specifications for a new PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by radioman3, 14 Mar 2006.

1. radioman3

radioman3 What's a Dremel?

Hi there. I'm intending to place an order for a new PC next Monday.
    I've a budget of around £1400 and I do not need to buy a monitor fortunately.
    My hope is to be able to buy a PC to play Battlefield 2, Quake 4 etc at great speed and detail at 1024x768.

I was going to buy an Alienware, but here in the UK, their prices are going up amost hourly. So, it would cost me today £1450approx now to buy a PC that was £1350approx only a few days ago, and was £1372 only 12 hours ago, this morning! I am now not going to give them my business!

I'm now looking at MESH Computers in the UK. Looking at reviews on the web, they appear to have a good reputation. Any thoughts?

Anyway, I can a build a PC through Mesh for £1358.12. This is well within my budget and it seems to good to be true. It would be really helpful to me if someone could look through the following specs and give me some advice as to whether this looks a good PC from Mesh. Thanks.

The Specifications are:

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 4400+ with HT Tech

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe PCI-Express Mainboard - ATX

2048MB DDR400 Memory - PC3200 (2x1024)

160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 8MB Buffer

CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive (52x32x52x16)

512MB nVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX- Dual DVI,HDTV & TV-Out + DVI - PCI-Express

DVI connector Cable

7.1 Channel Surround Sound Audio (on board)

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Looks good to me.. a lot of PC for the money there! Good dual core CPU, good motherboard, good graphics... good amount of RAM, although I;d enquire as to what kind it is... basically, I dont think youd save a great deal by building. It's more fun, but each to their own.. Id buy that.

3. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Yeah I second that - looks like a decent machine for the money!

I wouldn't worry too much about the memory, if you intend to overclock then you can always run with a divider, and timings don't make as big a real world performance difference as you may think!

4. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Definitely a very good rig for that price. If you want to overclock, that board has a very comprehensive set of options, and you'll be able to keep the (likely cheap) RAM at its rated speeds while still overclocking the CPU using one of the dividers.

5. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Mesh are pretty good, too. Never had a problem with mine :)

6. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

that looks like a great gaming rig.
    but DONT FORGET to get a decent branded power supply for it that is atleast 480w id say for that stuff in there. even more power if you fancy going sli at a later date. its not listed so thought id mention it so you dont run it all from a generic and wonder why youre not getting good performance
    :)

7. Austin

Austin Minimodder

;) As said great CPU, mobo, gfx and 2GB if RAM is nice too. However 160GB is pretty insulting seeing as a 300GB will only cost a consumer an extra £30 or so. My other gripe is the use of a combi drive rather than full on DVD Writer, they must have a lot of those combi's sitting on shelves since you can buy a DVD Writer for the same price! Seriously give them a call and get them to up the HD and replace the combi with a 16 Speed DVD Writer or say you'll have to look elsewhere. I'm sure they'll bring it in for the same price. BTW Mesh have a good rep.

8. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Aye, 300GB HDD seconded. Also, I think you may be able to get away with upping the screen resolution a little from 1024x768 lol!

9. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

What Austin said. Looks good though.

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It's a good PC, but you could save £200 and build it yourself. I just priced it up at around £1160

11. ashikamlani

ashikamlani What's a Dremel?

firstly, MESH are a very goood and reliable make, but i dunno about how good their gaming machines are. Try reading this(below), which is a sister site of bit-tech.net. i know this is not the model you are gonna get, but it gives you a god idea of the make MESH.
    they are reliable, but they gaming machines dont perform as well as home build ones.
    for the money though it is a great buy and if u dont want the hassle of building ur own pc then it is for you.

http://trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2570

read this

12. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

You dont need nearly that much GPU power just to run 1024x768; thatd be a waste of cash and effort. If your monitor cant do it, invest in a new monitor; whats the point in a super powerful number crunching monster if you cant see things at a proper screen resolution? :p

13. ashikamlani

ashikamlani What's a Dremel?

you speak the truth roto!